Bug(win 1.0.6a) autoscrolling during movement [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
OriontheHunter
Cannon Fodder

Bug(win 1.0.6a) autoscrolling during movement [FIXED]

Post by OriontheHunter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Been reading these forums the past few days and learning about the software. Decided to download it and play around a bit. When moving a figure around the map the autoscrolling does not work when moving down and movement to the left is glitchie, that is when I move left it starts to move then stops, to get it to continue I have to move the mouse back to the right slightly. When trying to move down it just doesn't move at all, I do auto hide my windows task bar, if that makes a difference. Hope this helps as I would like your software to get good reviews from ICON, since I believe it has tons of potential. I have some comments and suggestions about the UI but I'll put those in the proper forum.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Welcome, OriontheHunter, and thanks for the feedback.

I'll need to revisit the "auto-scroll while dragging a unit" code. I suspect it works best for resolutions of 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024, with the map window sized to fill the screen. A reworking of that code is definitely in order.

Do you think the scroll activation border should be wider, or is it OK as is?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

OriontheHunter
Cannon Fodder

Post by OriontheHunter » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:56 am

heruca wrote:Welcome, OriontheHunter, and thanks for the feedback.

I'll need to revisit the "auto-scroll while dragging a unit" code. I suspect it works best for resolutions of 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024, with the map window sized to fill the screen. A reworking of that code is definitely in order.

Do you think the scroll activation border should be wider, or is it OK as is?
my screen rez is 1024x768 and it was on the default map that loaded with the game and I tried it at various zoom settings all greater than 80% if I had to guess.

The activation boarder seems to be alright but there is a quirk with the figure placement also. When scrolling up the figure stops about 1.5 base widths from the top and .75 base lengths from the left but it doesn't do this on the other sides, nothing huge I know but I thought you might want to know.

Thanks for the Welcome.

Edit: In looking at it again it seems the base length measurements I gave may be related to the figure I was using (Devinnight's Construct). What appears to have happened though is the activation border has shifted down and to the right, also the figure while still in scroll mode won't reach the top or the left side of the screen, but will move half way off the right side and just the edge of the base dissappears off the bottom.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:25 am

For v1.0.6b, I've tweaked the code for the activation borders on the mouse-based auto-scroll. It should now trigger auto-scrolling correctly regardless of the map window's size, its placement on the screen, the current zoom level, or the monitor's resolution. And it will only trigger if the mouse is within the bounds of the map window, and only if BRPG is the active application.

These bugs have been plaguing us for a long time, so I'm happy to have fixed them at last. Most BRPG users have in fact disabled the auto-scrolling map feature because it was so screwy. Starting with v1.0.6b, you may want to consider re-enabling this feature. :)
Last edited by heruca on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:29 am

OriontheHunter wrote:Edit: In looking at it again it seems the base length measurements I gave may be related to the figure I was using (Devinnight's Construct). What appears to have happened though is the activation border has shifted down and to the right, also the figure while still in scroll mode won't reach the top or the left side of the screen, but will move half way off the right side and just the edge of the base dissappears off the bottom.
If you are dragging a multi-cell unit (i.e., one with a large base size), try grabbing it from a different cell in order to get it as close to the edge of the map as you want it. It should always be possible to get any size creature to sit on the very edge of the map. Let me know if this doesn't work for you.