Possible FoW bug (v1.0.7a) RESOLVED

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
jperlin
Soldier

Possible FoW bug (v1.0.7a) RESOLVED

Post by jperlin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi I am trying version 1.0.7a. The Fog of War seems to generate Script errors when we try to move our characters. We have 3 people on line total during this test. I have never seen this happen before in version 1.0.6b. We did not try version 1.0.7.
First we logged on. Then we downloaded the map from a URL. Then we changed the Cells to be dynamic cells. The when they were revealed we received 2 script errors, and the players had trouble finding the map. The every time a player moved their character a script error was generated by the moving player and every other person connected. When the Fog of War was turned off the problem disappeared. One player reported seeing the blue map loading screen.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:22 am

Thanks for the bug report, jperlin. This is the first feedback I've gotten on v1.0.7a so far. Looks like we'll need a v1.0.7b if I can duplicate this bug, because FoW being broken is unacceptable. Ah well, this is why we have betas.

Is other stuff working OK now, like importing bundles and using the Turn Sequencer?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

jperlin
Soldier

1.0.7a

Post by jperlin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:24 pm

We haven't tried the other stuff so i am not sure. I will have to experiment with the turn sequencer.

John

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I'm unable to duplicate the FoW issue you reported.

If it's repeatable, please post the steps needed to get this to happen. If it only happens in one Encounter, please email me the file.

Also, let me know if you've edited the "Light Sources Menu.txt" file in your Preferences folder.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

jperlin
Soldier

FoW

Post by jperlin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 pm

This error was very repeatable, I cannot understand why you cannot see it. Here is the procedure as I know it, if there is more I will check with the DM.
1). We all logged into Battleground session. 3 people total
2). DM enabled FoW and made cells Dynamic
3). DM calls map from URL
4). DM assigns and loads characters.
5). 2 script errors received and seen by all when cells are revealed.
6). 1 player begins moving token, receives a script error on every move. Script error is seen by all.

Without the Fog of War it seems to work well. We did not load an encounter so I am not sure what file I should email you.

John

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks, I'll try out those steps.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:53 pm

I'll tell you what this sounds like to me: it sounds like one of the players has a memory or processor-deficient system, and it could well be the host. I got similar errors until I upgraded my RAM. What are everyone's specs?

(The minimum requirements for BRPG are IMO set too low.)
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:31 pm

I think Farland is right, because I've been unable to trigger this bug even after following your steps (and several other variations of your steps).

Find out who in your group is low on RAM. It may well be the GM. Anyone who is low on RAM would do well to not run other apps at the same time, and to do a fresh reboot before hosting or joining a game session. They should also try disabling the ExtraMemory line in the INI file by opening the INI file in a text editor and placing a semicolon at the beginning of that line, then saving the file. This needs to be done just once, and before BRPG is launched.

If none of that works, you or your player/s may actually need to boost your physical RAM. That's very cheap these days, and you should see improved performance not just in BRPG, but in all your apps.

Let me know if any of that helps.

jperlin
Soldier

Thanks for your help

Post by jperlin » Thu May 17, 2007 12:06 am

It appears that it was a lack of memory of one of our players. His laptop has only 256M ram and of course had other things running in the background. We followed your suggestions and our testing went better. The lack of RAM caused other issues especially with sending audio files but otherwise it worked well. We used version 1.0.8

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 17, 2007 12:38 am

Good to hear that it was only a RAM issue. Do you think that having your player edit the INI file as described above is what made the difference?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu May 17, 2007 12:41 am

Great news ;-)

jperlin
Soldier

RE;

Post by jperlin » Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 am

Truthfully I am not sure. David's PC is such an old dog with so much crap running on it, its hard to say. I guess it couldn't have hurt any. He is supposed to be getting a new computer soon so maybe that will not be an issue much longer. Is there a way to transfer the license to another PC in the case of upgrading?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Sure, just have David email me stating his intent and the Challenge Code generated on his new PC.