Bug: Login Problem (Beta 1.04) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Weezoh
General

Bug: Login Problem (Beta 1.04) [FIXED]

Post by Weezoh » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:47 pm

should we be able to log in and host games now? If so, I can't.

I have 3 macs on an airport network, I don't really know what to do. If I go to login on one and check Host game, do I have to specify the machine's internal IP address? and then I assume the other computers would put in that machine's internal address and connect, but I can't get that to work. does port need to be specified?
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:32 pm

In the absense of an answer from Heruca I think that should be the machines External IP although I think that's what you are referring to anyway.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:28 pm

Sorry, I'm trying to wrap up the revised User Manual so that you all can see some instructions for all this new stuff.

The usual port number to use is 1626. No need to enter the IP address on the host machine, but the clients will need to know the host's IP.

The host's chat window will tell you your internal IP, so that you can pass it on to your players.

If that doesn't work and you need to know your external IP address, go to
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/echoIP.php
(there will eventually be a button in the chat window that you can press to find out your external IP)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:30 pm

When I set the port to 1626 and check the host box and connect I get a script error box, if I say yes to continue it just gives the error box again.

this is the OS 10.4 machine and I did mean internal IP, since all the machines have the same external ip address via the base station router.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:41 pm

I think what's happening is that there's a prior connection attempt still resident in RAM that isn't letting you establish a new connection. Try rebooting.

Also try deleting the file "ConPrefs.txt" located at:
"YourUserFolder:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Director MX 2004:BRPG Sneak Preview (Mac).osx:Prefs:"
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:09 pm

heruca wrote:I think what's happening is that there's a prior connection attempt still resident in RAM that isn't letting you establish a new connection. Try rebooting.

Also try deleting the file "ConPrefs.txt" located at:
"YourUserFolder:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Director MX 2004:BRPG Sneak Preview (Mac).osx:Prefs:"
Rebooting didn't help, and I don't have the abovementioned file. only UserPref.txt i'm assuming because i've never made any connections
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Hmmm, try hosting from another machine (one that hasn't hosted before) and see if that works.

And yes, that ConPrefs file only gets created after a successful connection.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm beginning to think that it's the Airport Base Station that's interfering with your connection attempts (I've had similar issues not being able to tunnel through an ABS using Timbuktu Pro).

If you can, try using one of your Airport-equipped Macs as the signal provider, or try connecting the computers directly with an Ethernet cable, and see if that gives you better results.

If we can isolate the ABS as being the choke point, I can concentrate my efforts on addressing that. I suspect using the ABS Admin Utility to open up port 1626 (or do some sort of port-forwarding) might be worth checking out.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I rebooted each machine then created a computer to computer network and had my 10.4 and 10.3.9 machines connect to each other and it still errors out when the host tries to login and host.

I'm looking for a crossover cable to connect them directly; haven't had to use that thing in years.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:39 pm

OK, that tells me that something else is wrong, since you should be able to host even if you're not on a network.

By the way, unless your Macs are really old, you don't specifically need a crossover ethernet cable, as the computer will detect the type of cable you are using and adjust for it.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble hosting. Don't worry, we'll get it sorted out.

In the meantime, you might try doing a fresh instal to another location, if you still have the zip file.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:06 pm

I tried to re-install from the archive in a different location, but no difference.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:58 am

Although there are still issues with Login, ports and networking this basic login problem is now resolved. FIXED this thread so we don't have too many floating around.