connection issue

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
ursus
General

connection issue

Post by ursus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I'm having a connection issue when I try to join a game. I don't show up in the main party and can't see anybody else listed either. All the parties on the left say <none>.

Also, I get dropped from BRPG every few minutes.

ursus
General

not even sure if this is a bug

Post by ursus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:46 pm

More information...

I can't seem to connect correctly, but my friend was able to join. Also, I can't disconnect. Also, the other player and GM saw me listed twice as being connected. When the GM loaded an encounter, I didn't see any change on my end. All I saw was the default grass map.

Whew... Let me know if you need more info. I have had too much espresso to think coherently.

<note to self, do not drink 3 double espressos in one morning> :shock:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:37 pm

If you can't connect, your friend probably hasn't configured port-forwarding correctly on his router, or he has a firewall blocking you out. Another possibility is that you typed in the wrong IP address, or were given the wrong address by the host; for example, if he gave you his internal IP and not his external IP. Or he is hosting on one port and you are trying to connect on a different port.

Someone else recently reported that they were being dropped every 2 minutes or so. I can't recall if it was due to a router on its last legs, or ISP interference.

If you can't disconnect as a player, it probably means you've lost your connection to the host, in which case you may have no choice but to force quit BRPG (note to self: add a timeout on disconnect attempts to prevent this). The host, however, should always be able to disconnect.

I'm not sure how you managed to get logged in twice, but if you find a way to repeat it, let me know. It's supposed to be impossible for a person to log in with a username that is already in use by another player (or in this case, the "ghost" of another player).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Is it possible that it is something on my end? Maybe my firewall limiting access to the internet for BRPG? I was the only one having trouble connecting, and it wasn't a complete failure to connect. A connection would establish, but I couldn't "see" anyone else logged into the session.

I thought that maybe it had something to do with certain connection data being cached from earlier in the morning when we were all having problems.

I do have both v1.1b and v1.2 on my drive. Is it possible that this caused some confusion for BRPG when trying to connect?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:55 pm

If you connect to a game using a different BRPG version that the GM, it is supposed to automatically boot you and inform you of the version mismatch.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:06 pm

That didn't happen to me. By mistake I once tried to connect to his v1.2 with my v1.1b, and I had the same ghost connection that I got when using v1.2.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:32 pm

It sounds like you've got a lot of packet-loss between you and the host.

It seems like you are able to connect sometimes, but that your client isn't keeping up with sending and receiving updates.

What do you get back when you ping his IP?

D-Miller
Sergeant

Post by D-Miller » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:48 pm

The person disconnecting every 2 minutes was one of my players. We found it was his Linksys router. He replaced it and the problem cleared up. We haven't gotten back to troubleshooting the router to see if we could nail down the exact problem though, sorry. But you may want to look into your router. The symptoms you are describing sound a lot like what we were experiencing.

Player sees no real connection, GM sees the player connect for about 2 minutes then drop out, other players sometimes see problem player attach and sometimes they don't. Does that sound about right?
Thank you,
Dave

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Yeah, my router was causing problems, but even after disconnecting it and going straight to my DSL modem, I still had problems like you described. Disconnecting the router did make a huge difference in using Skype. After taking the router out of the equation, I didn't get dropped from Skype once.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:58 pm

heruca wrote:If you can't disconnect as a player, it probably means you've lost your connection to the host, in which case you may have no choice but to force quit BRPG.
As of v1.4a, if you hold down the Shift key while pressing the Disconnect button, it will force a disconnect without waiting for a response from the GM Client. This should only be used if you can't disconnect normally, either because you've lost a connection with the GM Client, or the GM Client has locked up, or the GM Client has crashed.

Basically this little addition saves players from having to force-quit BRPG just to be able to attempt to reconnect.