Usability: Figures / Turns (Beta 1.05-1.09) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Halebop

Usability: Figures / Turns (Beta 1.05-1.09) [FIXED]

Post by Halebop » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:01 am

Some assumptions:

The unit manager displays everything on the map.

The turn sequencer displays all figures in the unit manager, including sideboard figures.

A scenario:

...So lets say I pre configure my map before the game. It's a portion of a Dungeon with 4 rooms. Each room contains 6 goblins. 24 Goblins on the map but for the 1st encounter 18 of them are side-boarded.

The party starts a battle. I check my unit manager and map. Cool. 6 golbins visible and 18 sideboarded. I open the turn sequencer and 24 goblins appear on the list. Together with the player character party of say 4 I now have...

The Outcome:

A relatively unwieldy list of 28 for a much more simple encounter of 10.

Creatures who are not present must be "stepped" through on the sequencer.

Creatures who are presently sideboarded but who I determine might hear the battle and respond are difficult to find via either the unit manager or turn sequencer because unless I've named them Room_2_Goblin_1 the process is one of trial and error. (and if I do give them a name like that it makes name labelling them unattractive)

Some Work Arounds / Solutions:

Allow "unit grouping" with unique names in their prefs. Then I could assign factions or locations via this mechanism (Grobbo's Bad Boyz or Room 2 Goblins). Display Grouping as well as name in Unit Manager or Turn Sequencer.

Set up 2 unique names in the figure preferences - 1 display friendly, 1 DM Friendly. Display: Goblin DM: Goblin_1_Room_1. The DM sees his DM name in turn sequencer and unit manager, the players just see whatever the "public" name is.

Just identify figures according to the location or faction via their name (Goblin _1_GBB or Goblin_1_Room2) - With the downside of Displayed name labels not being very attractive.

Ignore Halebop. He's a pedant.
Last edited by Halebop on Thu May 18, 2006 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:59 am

If I don't list sideboarded units in the Turn Sequencer (but do list any Hidden units), would that help?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:06 am

Adding a Group Assignment to each unit shouldn't be hard, either. The GM's Unit Manager could list both the unit name and the group name, to make individual units easier to identify.

Assume this will be in an update.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 am

I think omitting sideboarded figures from the turn sequencer and having a unit indentifier in the unit manager (maybe the turn sequencer too?) will sort most issues. Just having the turn sequencer ignore sideboarded figures doesn't really help the harried GM idenitfy multiple figures on a larger map.

It made me think maybe figures shouldn't be sideboarded unless they are leaving the field of play. But I might be stuck in a paradigm of a "real" tabletop. At the same time I can see the value of hiding everything too. Especially if I screw something up with an accidental FoW reveal or if i want to change the makeup of the game midstream (Always a GMs perogative!).

heruca
Developer

Re: Usability: Figures / Turns / Unit Manager (Beta 1.05)

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:34 am

Halebop wrote:Ignore Halebop. He's a pedant.
This would be easier. :lol:

My suggestion would mean that you don't have to step through the turns of figures that are not active in the encounter, at least.

The purpose of the Sideboard is to have predeployed stuff on call, for revealing at a moment's notice. Useful for keeping map clutter to a minimum, or for having wandering monsters on hand, even if you don't know their exact positions will be.

That reminds me, I should have things automatically hidden when coming off the Sideboard.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:36 am

To keep all your ready-units on the map would cause problems.
With unit stacking, it will become quite hard to see things even with transparencies if you have dragons, foliage, and NPCs all in the same place at different elevations.
So you can keep the dragons on the sideboard until their curtain call.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Thu May 18, 2006 3:09 am

The main issue of displaying sideboarded figures in the turn sequencers is resolved.

heruca
Developer

Re: Usability: Figures / Turns (Beta 1.05-1.09) [FIXED]

Post by heruca » Thu May 18, 2006 3:26 am

Halebop wrote:Set up 2 unique names in the figure preferences - 1 display friendly, 1 DM Friendly. Display: Goblin DM: Goblin_1_Room_1. The DM sees his DM name in turn sequencer and unit manager, the players just see whatever the "public" name is.

Just identify figures according to the location or faction via their name (Goblin _1_GBB or Goblin_1_Room2) - With the downside of Displayed name labels not being very attractive.
How about this for a solution?

Enter in a unit's name like this: "Goblin 1 (Room 2)"

And I'll make BRPG ignore everything in parenthesis when displaying the figure's name in a text label. So the above example would just be labeled "Goblin 1" on the map. Note that I purposefully left the "1" outside of the parenthesis, since I think it'll help players if they can uniquely identify each token.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu May 18, 2006 3:32 am

Nice suggestion Heruca ... That will probably work very nicely :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:48 pm

The figure-naming scheme described above has been implemented for v1.0.2, except that I had to use square brackets instead of parenthesis for denoting the GM-only part of the unit name.

Example:

If the GM names his units like this:
Orc [1]
Orc [2]
Orc [3]

The Players will see just this on the map if the Character Name labels are on:
Orc
Orc
Orc

And the GM will see this:
Orc (1)
Orc (2)
Orc (3)