Display issues with 1.2f

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
chopperwolf
Cannon Fodder

Display issues with 1.2f

Post by chopperwolf » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:48 pm

My friend and I are testing out the new version 1.2f demo over the web. I am hosting the game and he is able to connect to my session just fine and it transfers the map to him, but his map screen has sections that are blacked out even though the FOW on my screen is fine.

Here are some examples:

Here's what I see on my screen with the "Player's view of FOW" checkbox enabled

Here's a screenshot of what he sees on his screen

Here's my scrren with FOW turned off

Here's what he sees

Also, I have noticed a display problem on some of the menus that make the dropdown menus either black or red and you cannot read what they say unless you click them. Someimes moving the mouse over them changes the color betweeen red and black.

Here are some examples:

I did not have any of these issues with 1.1b, only with the new 1.2f version

We are both running Windows XP

-Chris

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Welcome, chopperwolf .

The first issue seems to be the dreaded "missing map rows" problem, which sometimes occurs during peer-to-peer map transfers (and may be related to a not-so-great connection on either the GM's end or on the player's end, since it means some packets were "lost in transit"). However, the GM has a "Send Missing Map Pieces" command in the BG button's popup menu. Selecting that command will usually take care of the problem. On occasion I've had to do it a second time until the map was complete.

I'm guessing that your player did not install the sample adventure (Player's version) on his end, because that is set to automatically import the map on-demand, and a peer-to-peer transfer of that 4000x2600 pixel bitmap would not have been triggered in the first place.

As for the red and black pulldown menus, I've only seen that on a computer that's running very low on RAM (in my case, it was a 128 MB XP system, well below the minimum system requirements). How much RAM is in your computer? Were there a lot of other programs open at the time?

BTW, my 128 MB system used to run v1.1b without that issue, too. But ever since BRPG went "high-res" in v1.2a, it's occasionally had that problem. I plan to up the RAM soon, and am fairly sure that display issue will go away.

I suppose that it's possible that the missing map row problem is also related to or aggravated by low RAM. I'll wait to hear how much RAM you have before making a judgment on that.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

chopperwolf
Cannon Fodder

Post by chopperwolf » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of the "send missing map pieces" option. We'll definitely try that. When I first happened I had him download the players pack and copy the files to the specified directories, but that did not seem to help at all. Hopefully the option to send the missing map pieces will solve this problem.

As for the strange black and red colors on the drop down goes, I doubt it's related to low memory. I have 2 GB of RAM and at the time, Battlegrounds was the only program I had open. I have noticed that it only seems to occur when I have loaded a map with FOW and am hosting a game if that makes any difference?

Another thing that I have noticed is that I get the following 2 errors randomly while using Battlegrounds:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Hmm. We can rule out low RAM, then.

If anyone else is having this issue with the red and black pulldown menus, please post here so I can get an idea of how widespread this problem is.

In the meantime, I'll comb through the code to see if there's anything I can do to fix it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm

One thing that sometimes fixes odd issues like you are experiencing is to download BRPG again and unzip it to a new directory. See if the problems go away while using the "new" installation. If they don't, trash it and revert back to your old installation, if you want.

chopperwolf
Cannon Fodder

Post by chopperwolf » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:01 pm

I'll try that and let you know. :-)

masterburrfoot

same issue

Post by masterburrfoot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:22 pm

I am having the exact issues that the above post describes. Both the black and red drop down menus and the object script errors.

Mine could be low ram 512mb, but it only does this on my laptop not my desktop. They both have the same ram.

masterburrfoot
Cannon Fodder

Post by masterburrfoot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:31 pm

I also have XP on my laptop and 2000 on my desktop. And I have tried the reinstall.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Welcome, masterburrfoot.

Are the object script errors recurring, or just once in a long while? Any ideas when they start occurring? Is it when you use the Notes feature? The Fog of War feature? Something else? Or is simply having units on the map enough to trigger the script error?

I'm going to do some googling to see if I can find the cause of the red/black popup menus. I'm starting to think it may not be RAM-related after all.

masterburrfoot
Cannon Fodder

Post by masterburrfoot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:15 pm

The object errors are not recurring in that they don't happen when I do one single thing. But they are recurring in that they do keep happening.

I seem to notice the script errors more when doing something at the same time as someone else is while I'm hosting a game (I also had one of my players say it happened to them while connected to me, and they are the ones who noticed it was happening when we doing something at the same time). It usually happens while connected or after I disconnect from hosting or being in a game. I haven't noticed it when I have just opened the program and not connected. But I can't remember.

It doesn't matter what I am doing. I have had it happen when I clicked the chat box to chat, when opening the figure dialog, etc.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks for the additional info.

I'm going to take some time after v1.3 is released to hunt down and get rid of all these pesky errors and cosmetic issues. I particularly need to do more testing with clients logged on, because some of this stuff is only manifesting in multiuser games.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:53 am

heruca wrote:I particularly need to do more testing with clients logged on, because some of this stuff is only manifesting in multiuser games.
If you need a volunteer, I'll step forward.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:38 am

Sure, me too. I love to try to break stuff.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Just throwing in my 2 bits here: I just had my first full session with 1.2f last night (was on 1.1b prior), and I’m experiencing exactly the same errors. I only made the move because 1.2f was supposed to be out of beta and “stable”. Needless to say it was anything but.

1. Red/Black pulldown menu items
2. FoW menu: Blackout Client Screens button misbehaving. Graphic doesn’t change when I toggle it, so I can’t actually tell when it’s pressed or not. I have to depend on my players to tell me.

My player clients (only; GM client does not exhibit these issues) have the additional issues:
3. Overlay problems with Dynamic FoW and hexgrid. Screenshot shows problems with the hexgrid. Dynamic FoW just doesn’t work as expected (works on some clients some of the time). Biggest problems appeared when the map was narrow. I had one map 5 hexes wide and 40 long (hallway) (204x1695 pixels), and I couldn’t use DynFoW at all. On a bigger map, the problem was significantly reduced, but still present. Playing with “Update FoW on clients”, “Use shared party view”, “View FoW as players see it”, and “Enable FoW” sometimes would resolve the issue, but not consistently, and usually not for everyone.

4. “Director Player Error: Object Expected. Script error. Continue?” messages. These seem to happen most frequently when I as GM move a token on the screen.
5. AFAICT random occurrences of “A serious error has occurred. Please relaunch BRPG.”, forcing the player to restart BRPG, since it crashes at this point.
6. “Director Player Error: Invalid parameter (member 6 of castLib 2). Script error. Continue?” Not sure what was causing this one.

Point (3) was an annoying inconvenience, considering one the principle items I was looking forward to in the move from 1.1b was customized Night Vision and Light sources.

Points 4-6 were bad. Bad enough that my players all asked if we could move back to 1.1b. Considering I had spent most of my free time this week converting encounters, maps, and deployments into the newer version, this wasn’t very feasible for me. However, having the 3 of them constantly restarting their BPRG is anything but a positive experience. They probably each restarted half a dozen times in a 3 hour period, and we spent the first 45 minutes trying to get FoW working. It’s serious enough that I have to give due consideration to moving back to 1.1b.

All three clients had 2GB of memory. 1 running Vista32, 1 running WinXP32, and 1 running MacOS10.4 (thanks so much for making BRPG multi-platform!). My own GM Client is much less robust at the moment with 768MB of memory, while serving BRPG and Teamspeak, running MSN Messenger, plus occasional internet browser, FTP client, and Adobe Reader usage.

It was sure nice to have my Random Hit Location, and other tables working—and saving the relevant table properly—though. :-)

If it would help and I could schedule it with you, I could certainly help with testing as well.
Attachments
BRPG_error1.jpg
Display of player client DynFoW behaviour. Light souce should be centered on one of the figures, and hexgrid should be overlaid on the whole map. Clearly many things wrong here.
BRPG_error1.jpg (89.34 KiB) Viewed 7060 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:01 pm

Kazander, I'm sorry to hear your last session went so badly. :oops: :oops:

It's becoming clear that v1.2f isn't quite as polished and debugged as I thought. I took a lack of bug reports to mean that it was behaving properly.

If you still have an autosave stored of that hallway encounter, could you please load it up, export a media bundle, and then email me both the Encounter and the bundle? I will test it out on my network to see where the FoW is screwing up.

œDirector Player Error: Invalid parameter (member 6 of castLib 2)" has something to do with an audio clip. Can you give me any info on what might have triggered that error? Was it by using the Send Audio panel? Was it by attaching a sound to a token? Or was it by triggering a sound attached to a token?

I'll make sure to get the Blackout button fixed in v1.3.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:06 pm

No problem. As far as you knew, it was working.

Now that you mention it, that error probably was an audio file. I have attached one to a token. I recall using it once on Friday. If I recall though, they still had problems once they restarted their clients, so it must have something do with attaching it to the token. Probably should have distributed it to the players, shouldn't have I? That one slipped by me. I've send them update for all my custom menus, dice macros, tables, etc. Sound got lost in the shuffle.

The encounter and bundle are in the mail.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Got them, thanks. Will try them out now.

BRPG should automatically take care of transmitting any audio files that the players didn't get pre-distributed to them in a bundle (keep in mind that bundles are supposed to be a convenience for conserving bandwidth during the game session, but their use is by no means a requirement). I'm wondering if the restart by the players had something to do with the audio error you got. Will know soon enough.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Kazander,

My findings so far, based on testing your Encounter:

1) You are using dynamic FoW only, yet there are manual reveals and conceals specified. These are probably a carryover from your prior Encounter, which didn't get cleared. They don't really affect anything, nor slow down FoW rendering as long as you stick with "Dynamic Only", but this makes me realize that I probably need a "New Encounter" command in BRPG, so that the program knows to flush any manual reveals & conceals from the previously open Encounter.

2) I get an "Index out of range" error every time the FoW tries to update, and the dynamic reveals never take place. I think the cause may be that I don't have your customized "Enhanced Night Vision Menu.txt" file. Could you please email that, too?

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:56 pm

I've sent you the night vision file.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:17 pm

OK, that solved the "Index out of range" errors, and dynamic FoW is now rendering correctly. Now I'll try it with a client connected.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 pm

heruca wrote:They don't really affect anything, nor slow down FoW rendering as long as you stick with "Dynamic Only", but this makes me realize that I probably need a "New Encounter" command in BRPG, so that the program knows to flush any manual reveals & conceals from the previously open Encounter.
You know, I've actually been missing something like that. It would be of great help in order to get a clean slate.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I haven't been able to reproduce the "object expected" error, but I did get the shrinking FoW mask (as shown in your screen capture). Until I can provide a bug fix, the most reliable way I can see to fix it during a session is to change the grid size using the Map Settings panel, then change it immediately back to the "proper" size. Or just use one of the sliders to change the fractional cell width or height by 1% (that saves a step, and the next time the bug occurs, just set it back to the original 0%).

I think I'm going to move the "Map Settings" command to the contextual menu you get when you double-click on the map. Easier/quicker access to it that way, and if you think about it, that's a more logical place for it.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:57 pm

I did some testing of my own today, as both GM and player client, and I was not able to reproduce the "object expected" error either, which is frustrating. Maybe it only happens with more than 1 client connected? I don't know.

I was able to adjust the FoW mask and get it to work on the player client. Thanks for the work around.

I was able to reproduce the "Director Player Error: Invalid parameter (member 6 of castLib 2). Script error. Continue?" error. It was definitely due to a new sound I had included. This was an mp3 file. I got this error anytime I tried to attach the sound to a token, or to send the sound to the player via "Send Audio". Based on what you say, this isn't was is supposed to happen. I'm assuming that it's not a problem with the mp3 file format itself, since it does play locally through BRPG on the GM client. The only way I could get the error to stop was by putting the audio file in the player client's Audio folder.

Your ideas for a "New Encounter" button and for moving the map settings command sound good.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:29 am

Is it possible to manually remove the old FoW info from the encounter file? If so what would I be looking for to do that?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:39 am

Yes, you could do it by editing the Encounter file in a text editor.

Look for stuff early on in the file that resembles the red portion below:
  • [[4, 0, "MyMapName", "Hex", 1, "4 82d8b34587", 1, 0, 75, 1, 0, 5, 40, 0, 0, rgb( 0, 0, 0 ), [4, 3, 2, 1], "http://myWebspace/myMap.png", [[[#holeType: #Rectangle, #holeVertexList: [[#vertex: point(-152.50, -1220.00)], [#vertex: point(152.50, -1220.00)], [#vertex: point(152.50, 1220.00)], [#vertex: point(-152.50, 1220.00)]], #holeLoc: point(-1, -1), #holeRegPoint: point(0, 0), #filledHole: #none]]], 0, "Dynamic Only", 1, "Yards", "myMediaBundleName", ""]
And replace that block of data with this:
  • [[]]
A far easier method is to load the Encounter in BRPG, open the FoW panel, click on the "Clear All Reveals/Conceals" button, and resave the Encounter. :wink: