v1.3d Grid & FOW and a Connection Error

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Fortescue
Soldier

v1.3d Grid & FOW and a Connection Error

Post by Fortescue » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm

System Set-up: Two machine LAN with BRPG 1.3d running. Windows XP.

Loaded a simple map on the GM client machine, (No FOW or Figure/Object placement at this point). Connected Player machine and map transferred with no issues. Map was scaled to fit desired dimensions. Dropped a Figure into the map, (scaled figure down) and assigned to the player. Figure appeared on player screen.

Checked œUse Manual FoW only
Attachments
Grid_Shift.jpg
Grid_Shift.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 4017 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:35 am

It sounds like UIMIAW.dir (that's the Commands panel, btw) was never released from RAM after you shut down BRPG the first time. If this happens again, see if it's listed in the Task Manager and force it to End Task. I'll add some code to kill that process during launch, if it finds it resident in RAM.

Regarding the FoW issue, did you use the right mouse button DURING a draw action? I don't think I programmed anything to allow/handle that. Only the left mouse button is used to draw.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:03 pm

heruca wrote:It sounds like UIMIAW.dir (that's the Commands panel, btw) was never released from RAM after you shut down BRPG the first time. If this happens again, see if it's listed in the Task Manager and force it to End Task. I'll add some code to kill that process during launch, if it finds it resident in RAM.
My players have seen that problem a lot in prior versions when connecting to my host, and in 1.3c, haven't tried it in 1.3d however. I was going to report it, but we thought it was Vista being dumb so didn't say anything. With this information though I've decided I should report it.

If its the Command Menu, I think it sometimes goes kaboom when switching from the GM menu to player menu when connecting. Notably it doesn't happen to our Mac user with his own license, only the Windows users trying to get the floating license.
Running 4 player D&D 4th ed. campaign over the net using BRPG 1.6b.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Ah, that gives me some insight into what the problem might be, because the Commands panel gets "rebooted" on a player's computer upon login, to switch it from GM mode to Player mode.

I doubt it's fixed in v1.3d if it was broken in v1.3c, as I haven't done anything to specifically address that.

It's never happened on any of my Macs, so this might be a Windows-only issue.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Fortescue
Soldier

Connection Error

Post by Fortescue » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Set-up: Two Windows XP machines running BRPG 1.3d. One machine has GM & Floater license, the other is running unlicensed copy.

I'm getting the UIMIAW error now everytime I try to connect, meaning I can't connect the machines.

Before I got the error when I shut down the player session of BRPG and then tried to reconnect. I wasn't changing the host which is running the GM and floater license. Now I get it on the first attempt to connect.

I've shut down both machines, re-launched BRPG and I'm getting the error. I checked the Task Manager on both machines and I don't see any processes resembling UIMIAW running. I compared the task manager during the error to the task manager after BRPG has bombed out and nothing pops out.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi

This got me a bit worried so I tried the same thing using a new 1.3d download and the GM client of 1.3d on my thumb drive. One XP machine.

I connected without a licence and then loaded up one of my encounters for my group that used manual FoW.

I assigned a fig to the player and then revealed a new section using the FoW tools. Everything worked as expected.

One difference I had is I always switch the command pop-up to off and I advise my players to do the same.

cheers

Pete
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

heruca
Developer

Re: Connection Error

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Fortescue wrote:I've shut down both machines, re-launched BRPG and I'm getting the error.
Wow. Even after a reboot? I can't explain that at all. But try nortonweb's suggestion of disabling the Commands panel in the 3rd Preferences screen. Then try logging in to see if the error has gone away.

heruca
Developer

Re: v1.3d Grid & FOW and a Connection Error

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:11 am

[quote="Fortescue"]I was attempting to Re-connected prior to loading the encounter when I received:

œUnable to open file œC:\BRPGv1_3dWin\UIMIAW.dxr