Using Shift key to roll die macro bugs

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Kazander
General

Using Shift key to roll die macro bugs

Post by Kazander » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:01 am

1. Holding down the Shift key to run a dice macro rather than load it first doesn't work the first time....you always seem to have to load and run a given macro once before the shift-run works. Seems to be true of either the figure context menu or the button in the Dice Macro window. This is fairly minor.

2. This next one is bigger, as it causes BRPG to crash.

It occurs under a fairly narrow set of circumstances, AFAICT.

You have to have a die macro associated with a figure.

Then, using the context menu of that figure, either Shift-Run, or just load then run the die macro.

If you then at a later time either load-run, or shift-run the same macro from the Dice Macro creation window via the "Load Dice Macro" button or the shift-"Run Dice Macro" button, you get an error like the following:

---------------------------
Director Player Error
Misplaced Operator
loadDiceMacro [#name: "3d6", #die1Type: "d6", #die1Cast: "Red", #die1Faces: 6, #die1ModOperator: "Add", #die1Modifier: 0, #die1Minimum: 0, #count10sAs0s: 0, #openEndedHigh: 0, #openEndedLow: 0, #penetration: "0", #capsOpenEnded: 0, #disc
Yes No

The exact text of the die macro specifics varies according to the macro you're using, but it seems irrelevant in this case because it is an otherwise working macro. It works under all other circumstances. Something is up with the code here.

If you only roll your macros from the Dice Macro window, this never happens, and it never happens to Global Macros, AFAICT.

Hope that's enough information for you to be able to track this one down--since it shuts down your BRPG session, it requires a reload and reconnect for all the players (this is the GM client I'm running, if that matters).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:15 am

Wow, you really did a lot of grunt work to come up with such a thorough bug report. Much appreciated, and the details are bound to help me find the problem much easier. Thanks!

I can't promise this will be fixed in v1.3e, because I'm trying to avoid any drastic changes that could potentially break more than they fix, but if not I'll make sure to address it in a later update.

I'm gunning for v1.3e being the next official release, so I'm trying to be extra careful to not do anything that could introduce new bugs.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:44 am

Yes.

Congratulations to Kazander for identifying such a replicable and well defined bug that only occurs in very restricted circumstances. :)

And congratulations to Heruca for what appears tobe a massively reduced number of bug reports. At one stage, I was becoming a bit concerned that new visitors might take these as an indication that BRPG was not usable. :D

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:18 pm

Wasn't that much work actually. I discovered the crash during the course of regular gameplay, and just had to figure out what was causing it (I already knew the last thing I did was Shift-run a macro from the Dice Macro window).

As long as it gets fixed, that's what matters the most. Now that I know exactly what's causing it, I can try (heh) to avoid doing it in the future.

To second Dormouse's sentiments, congratulations on getting the 1.3 line to the level of stability it's currently at. It's a great improvement. I'm eagerly anticipating moving my official gaming platform from 1.2g to 1.3e.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 pm

I believe both of these bugs are fixed for v1.3f.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:50 pm

You must mean 1.3f, right, since 1.3e is what we're already using?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Oops, yeah, that's what I meant. Fixed my post.