Map cache issues?

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
CdrDave
Cannon Fodder

Map cache issues?

Post by CdrDave » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm

I tried to post this earlier in the day and due to net lag or whatever, I didn't see a sucess message before I had to leave. I also checked again before posting this, so please forgive me if this makes it on the board twice.

I have been experimenting with trying to get Campaign Cartographer / Dungeon Designer 3 to export battle maps into BGRPG for my local gaming sessions. I have yet to figure out how to get the grids from DD3 to line up with BG no matter what I do. In an attempt to figure this out, I had both programs running, and would make a change in DD3 then save it into the BG folder, then try to load it again to see if my changes worked. Here's the issue i'm running into now. The first time I loaded a DD3 map (.png or .jpg) it loaded fine. But when I made a change in DD3, saved the new map over the old one and tried to reload it into BG, only the old map showed up in the BG load screen - even though the file/map isn't even there anymore! I figured maybe it was a cache issue, so I closed BG, saved the map again from DD3 (tried both .png and .jpg), opened BG and tried to load the map again...same thing.

Any ideas?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:59 am

CdrDave wrote:The first time I loaded a DD3 map (.png or .jpg) it loaded fine. But when I made a change in DD3, saved the new map over the old one and tried to reload it into BG, only the old map showed up in the BG load screen - even though the file/map isn't even there anymore! I figured maybe it was a cache issue, so I closed BG, saved the map again from DD3 (tried both .png and .jpg), opened BG and tried to load the map again...same thing.
BRPG saves all imported data in a cache file called "User_Cast.cxt".

In the BRPG menu you should find a panel called "Purge Media". The panel will allow you to clear previously imported media from the cache, either one at a time or all at once.
Purging media regularly also can have performance benefits.

An alternative is simply to use a different filename when saving several versions of the same media file.

Eventually, BRPG will have the ability to automatically detect and re-import updated media on demand.
CdrDave wrote:I have yet to figure out how to get the grids from DD3 to line up with BG no matter what I do.
BRPG's grid cell size is 61x61. However, can't you just turn off the grid in CC3 then use BRPG's grid?

CdrDave
Cannon Fodder

Post by CdrDave » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks for the response. I read that about purging media, but didn't quite understand it until now :D

As far as only using BRPG's grid, yes I can, however they still have to line up. So whether DD3's grid is showing or not, all of the underlying squares will be out of place if the grids don't line up. Then the miniatures will not move correctly on the map, etc.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 am

Hi, CdrDave,

The best way I have found to get the grids to line up is to export the map without any border whatsoever and make sure it's a round number of squares in each dimension. Then you set the 'Map Settings' in BRPG to the same size as the map and you're away.

The alternative is to play around with the 'offset' stuff, but frankly life may be too short for that... :wink:
Balesir

CdrDave
Cannon Fodder

Post by CdrDave » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:25 am

Hey thanks Balesir,

Do you simply hide the border layer and render the map? Or is that something deeply embedded in the export/save options?

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 am

Good question - I'm not too well acquainted with CC3 yet! I would just remove the border (hide the layer might work, but might not, in which case I would delete it entirely) and then export. You don't even have to resave the borderless version.

If that didn't work I'd open the exported jpg file in the GIMP and just crop the sucker! :lol:
Balesir

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 pm

Non-bug.