High CPU usage in non-licensed client

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Kazander
General

High CPU usage in non-licensed client

Post by Kazander » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Doing my usual goofing around today, and I discovered that when BRPG is running in Demo mode, or unlicensed client mode, it uses a lot of CPU power.

I run both a client and a server on the same machine. I rename the client executable to "Battlegrounds RPG Edition - Client.exe". When running by itself, unconnected to a server, BRPG uses 20-25% CPU!! :shock:

If I take the same executable running from the same folder and rename it back to the default "Battlegrounds RPG Edition.exe" and run it, it runs in GM licensed mode (since my machine is licensed for it).....and CPU usage plummets down to a few percent at most when doing exactly the same thing.

If I run 2 at the same time (different directories), 1 as server and 1 as client which I usually do for testing, then when the client is connected to the server, the CPU usage of the client regularly sits around 50% when they're just sitting there.....no updates happening, no dice rolling, etc.

Houston....I think there's a problem. (of course, it may be me)
Attachments
BRPG_task.png
Unlicensed client idling
BRPG_task.png (110.97 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Try renaming the BRPG INI file in your client installation, and call it "Battlegrounds RPG Edition - Client.ini" (i.e., the same name as the executable, but with an ".ini" suffix).

I suspect that will bring your CPU usage back in line with your licensed installation.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 pm

You're right. Mud on my face again.....thanks.

:oops: