BUG: Place Unit Freeze (RC2-PR) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Omnidon
Site Admin

BUG: Place Unit Freeze (RC2-PR) [FIXED]

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:32 am

There is something wrong with the unit creation panel that causes the map to freeze frequently when placing a figure or object.

The creation panel does not open up and the map and grid remain completely frozen until I open a different panel. I can still open the context menu and main menu, but the cell highlight stays stuck in one place.

So far this happens more often placing figures than it does placing objects, but it is very frequent for both.
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Can verify this.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:56 am

Yeah.

The workaround I've mentioned (opening another panel then trying to place the unit again) seems to work every time for me so now I just keep one finger on the A key when placing units and things go fairly smoothly.

Still something that definitely needs fixing before the official release though.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:37 am

A variant of this, that I have already mentioned to heruca by email, seems to be as follows. I mention it here to see if others can replicate it. I'm using WindowsXP (SP2).
  • 1) Place objects/figures until the cursor highlight 'sticks' as described by Omnidon.

2) Open the die roller and roll some (any) dice.

3) Close the die roller.

4) Try to place another figure or object.

5) If the bug kicks in a strange hybrid dialogue pops up with the default figure or object, but with five dice (always 5, regardless how many were rolled), all showing '1', overlaid on top.

6) Trying to 'Select' or trying to use the die roller after closing the hybrid box causes ascript error 'Property not found - #text'.
This seems to happen with either figures or objects, regardless of 'post-processing' (re-scaling, locking, un-hiding, etc.). It is sporadic rather than constant and seems to get better as more figures and/or objects are added. Ihave even had an analogous situation happen with the sound-sender (hotkey 'A', choose sound and send it -don't just close the pop-up), where the 'No preview available' box combines into the object pop-up, but this has only happened once. Opening either box without rolling/sending or whatever seems to clear the cursor lock without complications, so the work-around is there but this might be a clue to the 'nature of the beast'...

Edit: I forgot to say that using the context-menu or the unit manager to do stuff to the figures/objects seems to make no difference to this, in answer to a question from heruca...
Balesir

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Ha, confirmed!

It's probably completely irrelevant since I imagine fixing the cause of the original unit panel freeze would solve both problems, but it's worth a screenshot ;-)

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:49 am

Yep - that's the baby! :)
Omnidon wrote:It's probably completely irrelevant since I imagine fixing the cause of the original unit panel freeze would solve both problems, but it's worth a screenshot ;-)
Indeed - I pursued it as much as a clue about the root of the panel/cursor freeze as anything.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:21 am

I think I've found the cause of the panel freeze bug. Looks like it's fixed for v1.0.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Nope.

Still there in RC2a. :twisted:

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:22 pm

Is this bug still around?

I was unable to confirm it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm pretty sure this is fixed.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.