BUG: CPU & Memory Usage (RC2-PR)

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:39 am

Actually, RC2 still has just 40x40 cells max.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 am

Oh? I thought you said you were increasing it for RC2. That doesn't change my point though.

RC1 had 40x40 cells.
RC2 has 40x40 cells.

That's a 0% increase.

RC1 used 27 MB of memory.
RC2 uses 180 MB of memory.

That's a 666% increase.

Obviously the map size has nothing to do with it :P

Something that was added between RC1 and RC2 is taking a huge amount of memory.

Not a big problem for me really since I won't be running two instances in actual gameplay, but I think it would cause problems for many people.

Also we have to make room for the increase that will happen when you actually do add more cells.

EDIT:
heruca wrote:OK, what would you like me to limit the map size to? 30x30? :P
Keep in mind that this is a bug report, not just feedback. If I thought this was normal behavior then I wouldn't have mentioned it. 8)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:49 pm

-- RC2a --

Still a problem.

Memory is still 170 MB per instance of BRPG, and only two instances can still make my 1 GB RAM a bit sluggish.

CPU Usage still stays reasonable until the first unit is placed, whereupon it jumps to 80% on the player client.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:19 pm

I encountered extreme sluggishness while demoing RC2a today. At first I thought it was a FoW-related slowdown, but now it seems that the sluggishness kicks in the moment even a single unit is placed on the map. Typing in the chat window seems to happen in slow-motion. Is this what you were experiencing, Omnidon?

This sluggishness doesn't appear at all in my LAN-based testing, but it's extremely apparent (and annoying) in internet-based games. I'm surprised more of a fuss hasn't been raised about this issue. The sluggishness also seems to impair the program's stability. I crashed three times while attempting to demo the app. :( :oops:

This is something I definitely need to fix ASAP, and will receive extra attention during the v1.0 testing that will commence soon.

Folks, please let me know about these issues if you encounter them, as sometimes problems aren't apparent to me in my controlled testing environment. Real-world usage is what matters, and something this bad shouldn't have nearly slipped under the radar.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:16 pm

heruca wrote:it seems that the sluggishness kicks in the moment even a single unit is placed on the map. Typing in the chat window seems to happen in slow-motion.

This sluggishness doesn't appear at all in my LAN-based testing, but it's extremely apparent (and annoying) in internet-based games.

The sluggishness also seems to impair the program's stability. I crashed three times while attempting to demo the app. :( :oops:

Is this what you were experiencing, Omnidon?
Yes. As I said, I've been testing with two instances of the BRPG since I don't another computer atm, but this has been a major concern since RC2-PR.
The overall sluggishness was significantly improved in RC2, but it was still difficult for me to test online features, and I have a much better computer than most.
heruca wrote:I'm surprised more of a fuss hasn't been raised about this issue.
:roll:

Next time I'll have to be more specific, perhaps mentioning some statistics like exact CPU and memory usage and the percentage of increase from one version to the next.
I should've even gone so far as to post an update for each version telling you that the bug is still a problem, mentioning that it is hindering further bug testing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... =5312#4815
:P :P :P

I was originally going to make a snide comment like this when you posted that remark about the map size, but I edited it out because I didn't want to make you feel bad. :P
heruca wrote:This is something I definitely need to fix ASAP, and will receive extra attention during the v1.0 testing that will commence soon.
Yay :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:09 pm

heruca wrote:I encountered extreme sluggishness while demoing RC2a today. At first I thought it was a FoW-related slowdown, but now it seems that the sluggishness kicks in the moment even a single unit is placed on the map.
I finally found the cause of this, and I think I've largely addressed the issue. The sluggishness seems to be gone now even when units are deployed on the map, as long as you don't have a unit selected. I'll continue addressing this after v1.0, so that it doesn't happen even if you DO have a unit selected.

Full Bleed
General

Watch you memory usage ZOOM!!!

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm not sure how much of this stuff is fixed or addressed, but I do have the following observations in 1.0.5beta on a system with 2 gig of memory.

Memory Usage:

1) BRPG boots up to grassmap with about 170 megs of mem usage. About 190 with a figure deployed, and not considerably more with more figs deployed.

2) FoW doesn't seem to make a huge impact on memory (maybe pushing over 200 megs.)

3) But, if you use the Zoom, you get a HUGE hit. Go to 200% and I'm up near 800 megs of memory being used. Something about that just doesn't seem right. When you zoom out the memory goes down, but never returns to the previous amounts before zooming.

CPU Usage:

1) About 25-30 when a figure is selected.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:31 pm

I don't think this is real RAM usage/hogging, just the funky way Director apps seem to report memory usage. I think it frees up memory as needed to other apps/processes. Have you noticed any sluggishness when switching apps, for example?

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:53 pm

heruca wrote:I don't think this is real RAM usage/hogging, just the funky way Director apps seem to report memory usage. I think it frees up memory as needed to other apps/processes. Have you noticed any sluggishness when switching apps, for example?
Well, I'm not sure how much it's taxing my system, since I've still got a gig free... but I did try a test running Photoshop with a large complex file open.

With Photoshop open and using 635megs, BRPG dropped down to around 52 megs and stayed there regardless of zooming in and out (I then got a script error when turning on FoW... though, without more testing I won't focus on that issue being repeatable or related to what I was testing.)

But on consecutive reloads of BRPG, I stayed in the 180-200 meg range regardless of zoom (while photoshop was open and while it was closed.)

I've got some other stuff streaming in the background, so I can't do a bunch of restarts to see what flushing the system memory does, but I did find the behavior to be a little odd and do wonder how it might affect systems that don't have 2 gigs of memory.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:40 pm

That seems to support my theory that it's taking as much RAM as it wants, and then gives it back to other apps when needed.

If this bothers you, just edit the BRPG INI file so that the Extra Memory line is disabled. This is done by putting a semicolon before the line, like so:
[Memory]
;ExtraMemory=10240
Save the file and the change will take effect the next time BRPG is launched (and will remain in effect until you change it again).

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:13 am

Well, I haven't tested it in a while, but I know originally BRPG was definitely bogging down my system.

I have 1 gig of memory currently. I also have a program that can flush memory, and it wasn't helping. I often leave apps like BRPG running in the background so I don't have to keep reopening them, but I always had to close BRPG if I wasn't using it because it would definitely slow things down.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:00 am

Marking this "fixed" for now since the memory/cpu usage seems to be within the expected parameters of Director's behavior.