Kilgar's v1.0 Bugs [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
kilgar
Sergeant

Kilgar's v1.0 Bugs [FIXED]

Post by kilgar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:02 am

DM & Player Clients on Same Computer

I used BRPG v1.0 for the first time in a game session this past weekend. With having wisdom teeth out & other issues, this is my first chance to post...

Here is my setup:
Running BRPG on a laptop during a face-to-face DnD Session
Laptop screen used to display DM BRPG (which is the host)
External monitor used to display player client (which joins host)
I have wireless router on my home network (issues DHCP addresses)
I use the full IP in both BRPG copies to setup hosting (not using localhost)
I am using portrait token-style images for characters not top-down.

Problem 1 - Zoom:
A. Existing encounter map displayed by both copies.
B. A change is made to the map on DM copy.
C. Player copy usually updates fine then BAM! - all character icons are very large - they are not resized to match the zoom level. For instance the map level is 20% but the icons are displayed at 100%.

Sometimes the player copy would "catch up" and the character icon size on the player BRPG would end up matching the size of the player icons on the DM copy but usually only after I would change the zoom level on the DM copy another time (say move zoom to 50% then back to 20%) - sort of like forcing it to "refresh the zoom view again".

Problem 1A - Zoom:
A & B. Same as Problem 1.
C. A character icon gets moved on the DM copy while the large 100% icons are displayed on the player copy.
D. The new 20% zoom level icon for the moved character is displayed properly on both the DM & Player copies in the icons new map position, however the old, incorrect 100% sized icon is still displayed on the player copy map only - in the position where the player icon was before the move!
E. The portrait token being used for this player was the dwarven one that comes with v1.0 (guy with a mutton chop beard).

On the DM copy everything was fine; the moved players icon was not displayed in the old position - only on the player's copy. It wasn't until one of the players said "whose the other guy with the mutton chops" when I looked on the external monitor and realized there appeared to be an extra character in the party! The same character icon was displayed on the map in the player copy only: one at correct 20% zoom level and one in the player character's old position before the move at 100% zoom level.

With this issue, nothing I tried would get rid of the 100% icon displayed in the old token position: not forcing a FOW refresh, not saving encounter and the reloading it (the 100% icon got reloaded with the encounter), not changing the map alone.

This mismatch of token icon sizes also sometimes occurred when changing maps; leaving player tokens displayed on screen and just changing the map not loading a new encounter (tokens stayed in the same x,y positions on the screen after new map was loaded).

Problem 2 - FOW:
A. I also noticed a problam with the rendering of the FOW on the player copy vs the DM copy. I had the player tokens on the map set using light sources and vision sources to part the FOW and reveal what the characters could see (some tokens used light sources others used vision sources)
B. Everything was displayed properly on the DM copy but the player copy of the FOW was still very dark - the visible map areas revealed by the light and vision sources on the DM copy were much larger than what was displayed on the player copy; only a small percentage of the total visible area was displayed on the player copy.
C. One player token was set to be using darkvision. His view area was properly displayed on the DM copy but was not displayed at all on the Player copy.
D. There also seems to be a problem with the actual brightness of the map as displayed on by the Player copy. With the external monitor set to full 100% brightness & contrast (other settings tried as well) - the map on the player copy seemed to be actuallly displayed more dimly than that on the DM copy - I had to remove the FOW completely in order for the map displayed by the player copy to be usable.

In all these issues, the map on the DM copy of BRPG (the host) was updated & displayed properly. The problems were only on the player copy of BRPG.

Thanks for listening, heruca. Looking forward to v1.01!
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:15 am

I can add to the 'Problem 1' description; last night we played our second session and the 'spare PC' issue was noted by one of the players. This was with top-down figures, over LAN/internet connections and at an unknown zoom level (the player is in London - I'm not :wink: ). The 'extra figure' is very difficult to get rid of, as kilgar says.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:40 am

Ouch! Lots of issues I wasn't aware of. :cry:

Thank you for the very detailed write-up, Kilgar. Saves me from having to ask lots of questions. Unfortunately, with this and Balesir's other bug report are both coming in on the day before v1.0.1's scheduled release date, I'm going to really have to hustle to address all this in time.

Regarding the dimness on the Player screen, did changing the "FoW Layer Opacity" (on the FoW panel) have any effect?

Regarding the lack of a Darkvision reveal for the players, was "Shared Party View" enabled on the FoW panel?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Running DM Copy & Player Copy & Same Computer -

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:30 pm

kilgar wrote:C. One player token was set to be using darkvision. His view area was properly displayed on the DM copy but was not displayed at all on the Player copy.
This is now fixed for v1.0.1. Darkvision reveals weren't showing up on player screens if Shared Party View was on.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Running DM Copy & Player Copy & Same Computer -

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:55 pm

kilgar wrote:Problem 1 - Zoom:
A. Existing encounter map displayed by both copies.
B. A change is made to the map on DM copy.
C. Player copy usually updates fine then BAM! - all character icons are very large - they are not resized to match the zoom level. For instance the map level is 20% but the icons are displayed at 100%.

Sometimes the player copy would "catch up" and the character icon size on the player BRPG would end up matching the size of the player icons on the DM copy but usually only after I would change the zoom level on the DM copy another time (say move zoom to 50% then back to 20%) - sort of like forcing it to "refresh the zoom view again".
I've now seen this happen for myself, and have put it an automatic refresh timer for v1.0.1, so that if it ever happens, it fixes itself within a second or less.

The "ghost unit" issue you describe in Problem 1A does not seem to be related to zooming at all (nor to the particular image used), and may have already been fixed because I can't get it to happen.

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:48 am

heruca wrote:Regarding the dimness on the Player screen, did changing the "FoW Layer Opacity" (on the FoW panel) have any effect?
Actually, I do not know - I did not think to try this. I will do some experimenting after the release of v1.0.1 and post a followup of my tests.

Thanks for the prompt response on the issues I posted, heruca!! Excellent service as always!!

I really look forward to trying v1.0.1 now. . . .

Thanks.
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"