Usability: Turn Sequencer Order (1.0.2) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Balesir
General

Usability: Turn Sequencer Order (1.0.2) [FIXED]

Post by Balesir » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:09 pm

Something I noticed during tonight's run was that whenever I restarted/reloaded the encounter the Turn Tracker had re-sorted the figures into some sort of alphabetical(?) order. Dunno why it did this - might have been order of addition to the map, maybe?? Very annoying, having to re-sort into initiative order each time, tho'...
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:00 pm

Were you switching back and forth between two concurrent Encounters, or something? I'm trying to understand why you were switching Encounters and needing the same acting order restored. Don't new encounters generally require new initiative rolls anyway?

I could address this by storing the sequence order you've set in the Encounter when it's saved.

I don't remember off-hand, but I think the default order shown in the Turn Sequencer is related to the stacking order of figures in the Unit Manager.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:10 am

I would think the order of units in the turn sequencer should definitely be saved.

Not everyone uses the same sort of initiative-based system. Also, if you save an encounter in the middle of a battle because you've run out of time, you would want the order to be the same when you pick up the game next session.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:16 am

OK, I just checked, and it seems I'm currently only saving who the active figure is, and not the entire Turn Sequencer list.

How urgent is this? Can it wait until after v1.0.2a?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am

Well, I'm not ready to use BRPG for a real campaign right now, so it's not urgent for me ;-)

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:27 am

heruca wrote:OK, I just checked, and it seems I'm currently only saving who the active figure is, and not the entire Turn Sequencer list.

No, it can't wait.

Like every other feature I'd like to see in BRPG, it must be implemented right *NOW*.

:wink:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 am

:lol:

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:16 am

heruca wrote:Were you switching back and forth between two concurrent Encounters, or something? I'm trying to understand why you were switching Encounters and needing the same acting order restored. Don't new encounters generally require new initiative rolls anyway?
Generally initiative is rolled at the start of each encounter since we were playing D&D, but:
  • a) As others have noted you may have to save mid-encounter due to run-time constraints (as indeed was the case with us the previous run), and

b) As I mentioned elsewhere, I had a server crash (two, actually - one because I stupidly clicked 'No' on a script error box and the other when deleting a figure). After restarting I had to reload the encounter each time.
heruca then wrote:I could address this by storing the sequence order you've set in the Encounter when it's saved.
This would be a definite improvement! At a minimum it would be worth warning of this 'feature', since otherwise confusion and irritation can follow when an encounter is saved and reloaded between sessions...
heruca also wrote:I don't remember off-hand, but I think the default order shown in the Turn Sequencer is related to the stacking order of figures in the Unit Manager.
Ah, OK - and is that saved? At least that might give a workaround.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:33 am

Yes, the stacking order of units is currently being saved. But I don't see how that provides any sort of workaround to the Turn Sequence issue.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:36 am

heruca wrote:Yes, the stacking order of units is currently being saved. But I don't see how that provides any sort of workaround to the Turn Sequence issue.
Just re-order them in the Unit Manager to the same as the initiative order, then save, and voila! 8)
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:44 am

LOL! Smart man. Just make sure you don't end up with knights in treetops. :lol:

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:50 am

heruca wrote:Just make sure you don't end up with knights in treetops. :lol:
:lol: Well, as long as trees don't have an initiative slot, that should be avoidable! I'll just have to remember to use only really fast ents... :wink:
Balesir

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:50 pm

heruca wrote:OK, I just checked, and it seems I'm currently only saving who the active figure is, and not the entire Turn Sequencer list.

Heruca, is this issue still on your radar?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks for bumping the thread. I had forgotten that I need to save the Turn Sequence ordering in Encounters. Is that also needed for Deployments, now?

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:34 pm

heruca wrote:Thanks for bumping the thread. I had forgotten that I need to save the Turn Sequence ordering in Encounters. Is that also needed for Deployments, now?
Gonna bump this again.

Getting Turn Sequencer issues fixed will allow me to remove like 5 more Open Bug posts. ;)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:48 pm

This issue was addressed in v1.0.6. Turn Sequencer ordering info is now being saved in the Encounter files.