Bug: Screen Size MAC OS (1.04) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Gwindel
Captain

Bug: Screen Size MAC OS (1.04) [FIXED]

Post by Gwindel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:26 pm

I am not sure if it is a bug, as it could be a feature:
I am on Mac OSX, and when I used the trial BRPG, it appeared full screen. I am now using the new Beta one and the dock and Finder and application menus are now visible during use.
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Welcome, Gwindel.

This is an issue which I hope to resolve soon. I'd rather that the app be completely full-screen, so that those using BRPG with projectors don't have a distracting menubar constantly on-screen.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:55 pm

OK, here's what I've had to do to "solve" this (at least until I find a better solution, if there is one).

Starting with beta 1.0.3, BRPG will only run in full-screen mode on Mac OS X. It's the only way to avoid having a largely useless menubar across the top of the screen. You can still shrink your map window's size in Prefs, but that'll just leave black everywhere else, so it's probably best to leave the window size set to your display's resolution.

Under Windows, this was never a problem, so the app will continue to run as usual, and you can resize the map window size just fine without the rest of the screen being covered in black.

Sorry folks, I was trying for full feature parity in supporting both platforms, but things are starting to diverge slightly due to technical limitations of my authoring environment.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:23 pm

As far as I am concerned, the full screen map is one of the best points in Battlegrounds. So a full screen map and keystrokes to call functions or windows is fine for me.
Whilst I intended to use Battlegrounds mostly to play the campaign part of my wargames online, I am now searching for a cheap monitor or projector to use during face to face RPGs (or maybe I'll use two computers but the screens are quite small: an iMac and a 12" powerbook).
More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol. — W. C. Fields

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Hmm, small screens kind of defeat the purpose in a face-to-face session. Perhaps you can hook up the Powerbook to a large TV screen...?

Has anyone tested yet to see how the graphics look on a TV? (not great, probably)

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:06 pm

I think TV screen is not going to have a very good resolution. If I find a cheap flat monitor, maybe I'll connect it to the iMac. This way, the players have their own view, they can move their tokens and I can use my powerbook using fog of war.
I'll try second hand around here.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:43 am

Update for version 1.03

On a Windows PC (XP with SP2), you get full screen ...
So this seems to be resolved. Someone with a Mac should look at this too.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:21 am

But on a Windows PC, you should also be able to make it less than full screen from the Preferences screen. Is that feature working for you, Kepli?

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Using the dimensional fields works just fine :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Notice that your Preferences settings (including screen size) are now being stored between sessions. :D

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm

Cool ... it really is (just tested it) :D

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:07 am

Big leap of faith as a non Mac user but assume this is now resolved as the Windows version is now OK. v1.0.4.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:51 am

Well, too big a leap of faith. It was fixed in the 1.0.3 where the program opened full size; but in 1.0.4, the program is in a window and the menu bar and the dock are visible above the screen.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Gwindel, this change was necessary to accomodate people's request for a resisable window via manual dragging of the window frame. I will be adding a "Fullscreen Mode" command for projector users, or Mac users who want to hide the menubar at the top.

Gwindel
Captain

Post by Gwindel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Well, that's not that much of a problem, what is annoying is not so much the menubar than the dock, and I can hide it if needed.
I would still like to be able to go to fullscreen mode for using a projector or spare monitor, but that's not really important, more about the look than the use.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Ah, I wasn't aware of the dock issue, since by default I've set my dock to auto-hide. I'll see if I can do something about that.