BUG: Question Mark for Figures (1.0.5->a Beta) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Farland
High Commander

BUG: Question Mark for Figures (1.0.5->a Beta) [FIXED]

Post by Farland » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:31 pm

So when I am hosting and my players join, when I put a figure on the screen it comes up on their machines as a question mark, even though we all have the exact same figures in our folders.

Why is this?

I am also absolutely unable to delete figures. :(
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

Full Bleed
General

Re: v1.0.5 Question Mark for Figures

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:59 pm

Not sure about your question mark problem, I haven't had a chance to playtest v1.0.5beta over a network. Was waiting for the patch to come out so I could then focus on things I find on that side.

Farland wrote:I am also absolutely unable to delete figures. :(
This has been reported.

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=965

Until the patch, you can select a figure and use the hot-key for deleting <backspace>.

You can bring up a menu of hot-keys with the "?"

I do have to wonder if people miss these bug reports because the bug report section is really outdated with many bugs stickied, pushing newer ones way down the page and onto page 2.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Yes, all the stickies are confusing.

And the backspace works.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Farland, you can also delete units by making a selection/s and choosing the Delete command from the BG button menu.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: v1.0.5 Question Mark for Figures

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:23 pm

Farland wrote:So when I am hosting and my players join, when I put a figure on the screen it comes up on their machines as a question mark, even though we all have the exact same figures in our folders.
The figures may be in their local folders, but they haven't been imported.

When the GM places a token that the players don't have, it should be sending the token to the players automatically, so they might see the question mark temporarily but it is soon replaced by the actual token. Is this not working for you? Usually the token will be received by the players even before the GM gets around to un-hiding the unit, so they may never see the question mark icon.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Yes, apparently that's not working for me for some reason.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:35 pm

Do you get question marks for objects, too? Or is this limited to figures?

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Unfortunately I didn't try placing objects. I never got to that point, since I was also getting a multitude of director player errors and plain crashes.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 am

Farland, have you read this thread?

http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=377

Just trying to narrow down if this is the same issues, reason, and/or solution.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:28 am

Yes, that seems like the same bug.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:53 pm

Just tried joining a friend's game (via airport on an intel imac) everything worked at least as far as me connecting (other bug)

but all I see are ?s for figures and objects.

When he sent me the objects offline and I loaded them manually into the cast they appeared as normal when I reconnected. but the code you have in place for sending the objects doesn't appear to be working.

He is on a g4 ibook 10.4.8 wired in with ethernet and i'm on an intel iMac with 10.4.8 over airport.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:23 am

Verified the "?" problem myself tonight when testing out 1.0.5a Beta, so nothing has changed since 1.0.5 Beta.

I was able to send Maps just fine, and one figure (the first deployed) showed up on the client side. But every other figure, whether it was one already in BRPG or newly imported, showed up as a ? mark.

This Bug has been Stickied.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Ouch. This is a very serious bug. I will make sure it's fixed in v1.0.6.

I guess this means I can't take v1.0.5a out of beta. :(

Helizar
Sergeant

Post by Helizar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Just play-tested online this morning. Both Objects and Figures show as ? marks on the players' machines. Very serious problem. Glad you guys are aware of this. Other than that, the online connections seems very stable. Happy with the progress. :D :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:33 pm

I believe I fixed this bug last night. I still need to test to confirm.

Are there any other really serious bugs that need immediate addressing in v1.0.5a? Full Bleed might be the best person to answer this, since he's been tracking the bugs lately.

I'm thinking of releasing v1.0.5b to tide people over until v1.0.6 is ready, which may be another one or two weeks. But I also don't want to have too many releases too close to each other, since folks get tired of the constant need to update. Thoughts? Is it best to just wait for v1.0.6?

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:51 pm

FWIW I would say release 1.0.5b as a beta and, if it looks stable, release it as 1.0.6 production release (with more or less just the release number changed - maybe a minor bugfix or two).

At the moment the stable release to play games - beta to play with/see new features/test is working well for me. Don't change a winning formula!
Balesir

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 pm

I'd consider the "freaky movement bug", "? mark bug", and "floating license bug" (if that's repeatable) to be the main issues with 1.0.5a.

I think getting those 3 bugs fixed would warrant a 1.0.5b release and may allow you to make it the default download. I know that you are eager to move people from 1.0.2b (and I agree), but I fear that if you wait until 1.0.6 to fix these important bugs, we'll end up where we are now with other potential issues having cropped up with new features.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:30 pm

That's one of my concerns, is that a lot changes under the hood in v1.0.6 that stuff could break, even though other stuff got fixed.

OK, I'll probably go with v1.0.5b then. The "question mark bug" is fixed, the freaky movement bug seems to be also, and I can add a few more fixes to it that I'm sure won't break anything. In effect, I'll be simultaneously developing two versions for a short time, but it will be worth it to move things along.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:27 am

I came across the ? bug while running a session tonight.

I had one player connected using one of my licenses (not sure that makes a difference). Both of us were using the beta.

He could see figures with no problem and the generic tokens small. But when I added a number and made it visible he could only see a ? mark. I went into the Unit Manager and played around. When i toggled tile on and off the question mark went away and he was able to see the number.

I was able to duplicate this throughout the night.

Thanks,
Barry

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:24 am

Interesting find. Thanks for reporting it. I'll take a look tomorrow and maybe fix it for v1.0.6a.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:30 pm

I ran a session starting midmorning and had this with other objects too. All figures seem to be represented without issue.

Thanks for your dedication and hard work!
BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Let me know if v1.0.6a has fixed this issue.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:53 am

we will not be playing again till Friday. Will validate then.

BTS

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:28 am

Wanted to let you know that this seemed to be fixed with 1.06a. Got a few other items that came up with that version but you released b before I got them posted... will be validating them this Friday.

Thanks,
BTS