BUG: Freaky Movement with Objects + (1.0.5a Beta) [FIXED]

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
Full Bleed
General

BUG: Freaky Movement with Objects + (1.0.5a Beta) [FIXED]

Post by Full Bleed » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:06 am

Win XP.

After zooming or scrolling the map, being able to select and move objects gets all whacky with the snap-to-grid on. This mostly affect free-floating objects in 1.0.5a, but other figures can still become bugged.

Figure movement is better, but also becomes bugged in a slightly different manner. It seems to takes more zooming and scrolling around to get it bugged, and it doesn't bounce around nearly as much and is easier to control, but it's harder to actually grab. This may be made worse after deploying a free-floating object.

Having a grab hand appear when you are trying to grab figures and objects wouldn't fix any of these problems, but it would let us know when we are in a place that we *should* be able to grab the figure. At the very least, it might help with debugging.

However, even with snap to grid off, when you make a Free-Floating object after moving the map and zooming around, it's bugged.

I've noticed that the square where you deployed the last figure seems to flash when you move things around.... not sure what that means.

And, finally, figures with larger bases get bugged much faster.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:37 pm

I think I've fixed this for v1.0.6, but I need to test some more to be certain. As you've noted, it's a little tricky to pin down what triggers the bug, and sometimes it seems to fix itself, only to "break" again later in the session.

Should the hand cursor appear when you roll over a grab-able unit, or just when you click on it to start dragging the unit?

I'm pretty sure I have an open hand cursor and a closed hand cursor available. If so, I'll use the open hand cursor on rollover, and the closed hand cursor when a unit is actually clicked.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:48 pm

I would say that it would be nice if the cursor turned into a hand when we moused over an object that we could grab. Then animated into a grab hand when we actually had it.

I like the way Google Maps does the "grab" feature. Though the hand is always on so long as the cursor in on the map, which wouldn't be best for BRPG.

http://maps.google.com/

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:01 pm

This appears fixed for 1.0.6 beta, but I don't want you to forget about putting in the open/grab hand into unit movement. Do you have this interface tweak noted somewhere?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:42 pm

I do, so feel free to move this to the Fixed Bugs forum.

The grabby hand cursor will probably make its debut in v1.0.7.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.