New PNG figures cause error on placement (Not Reproducible)

An archive for tracking bugs that have already been fixed
HugeOgre
Cannon Fodder

New PNG figures cause error on placement (Not Reproducible)

Post by HugeOgre » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 pm

I made png files out of several pieces of art that I own, intending to use them as figures in the game.

The FIRST time you go to place the new art as a figure though an error is generated. It says Director Player Error, indicates there is a script error, and asks if you want to continue. If you say yes, the figure is placed on the map with no name, and at the default scale. you can right click and edit the creature, scaling it if you want, but you cannot delete. If you attempt to delete you get another scripting error box, this time referencing #deleteAt. The object momentarily disappears, then reappears. I wonder if its because it doesnt have a name...

Anyway, after the first time you can add other new figs just fine, and if you close the program and come back in you seem to be able to load even the fig that originally caused the problem just fine. Creating a new png file and dropping it in the folder, then opening seems to consistently allow you to reproduce this error.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:50 am

Hi HugeOgre,

What version of BRPG are you using and what operating system are you using?

This problem might be easier to nail down if you can attach some of the PNG's that you're using.

I made 30 PNG's today myself, and they all work perfectly, so it sounds like there is something else going on.

HugeOgre
Cannon Fodder

Post by HugeOgre » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:39 am

Thats weird, I could have sworn I posted that info. lol. I guess I got distracted. Im running a licensed copy of 1.02b on Windows XP, with 1024 MB of memory and a 3.2 Ghz Intel processor.

As for attaching the image, how exactly do I do that? I dont see any mechanism here like Id normally see in a phpbb2 implementation, and I dont have a place to host where I can use the img function.

I made my pngs with Photoshop CS2, converting from tif originals after using the magic eraser to delete the white backgrounds. The problem seems to persist even through a reboot. I wonder if I dont need to redownload the program, in case something got corrupted.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:25 pm

HugeOgre wrote:As for attaching the image, how exactly do I do that? I dont see any mechanism here like Id normally see in a phpbb2 implementation, and I dont have a place to host where I can use the img function.
Unfortunately phpbb2 has never had an image attachment feature built-in. What you are probably thinking of is phpNuke, which uses a modified version of phpBB that often includes the attachment feature.

heruca has been planning to add the feature to the forum but hasn't had the time (due to working so much on BRPG), and apparently doesn't want my help doing it :-X

Anyway, you are welcome to send me any files you wish to upload. My IMs and email are in my profile (and at the bottom of this post). I can even set up some FTP space for you if you'd like.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:39 am

Well, there is nothing wrong with your PNG (I tested the Devil one), I was able to import it and use it fine in 1.0.5a.

You might want to try reinstalling 1.0.2b and see if that fixes the problem, as this would be the first time this bug was reported for that version.

HugeOgre
Cannon Fodder

Post by HugeOgre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:13 pm

Yea it does seem really unlikely, and given my other errors Im starting to wonder if a) I have something loaded on my machine thats conflicting or b) I have a bum download. Ill redownload when I get back to the house on Wednesday, and Ill also take a clean machine home to test with. I have several apps on my computer that the average guy doesnt have, so it may be something odd you wouldnt expect to see.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Make sure your art is in RGB color mode. BRPG (and Director apps in general) doesn't accept CMYK images. I doubt that's your problem, though.

On occassion, I've seen users experience odd behavior and a reinstall fixes it. Sometimes I think the app originally got unzipped "not quite right" (perhaps due to the unzipping utility used, or perhaps just due to a one-time glitch). In such cases, the app usually runs/launches, but gets odd behavior later on.

One other possibility could be read/write permissions on your hard drive, because the first time new art is imported, the "User Cast.cxt" file gets re-saved. But it doesn't re-save on subsequent uses of that art. I'm just guessing here, I really don't know, and it's the first time this "bug" has been mentioned. A bum download is also a possibility, so I'd recommend reinstalling from a fresh download.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:16 pm

heruca wrote:Make sure your art is in RGB color mode. BRPG (and Director apps in general) doesn't accept CMYK images. I doubt that's your problem, though.
That was the first thing I checked... then I found out that PNG doesn't support CMYK.