Venger's Maps

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:19 am

WOW! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Great stuff! I absolutely LOVE the "cartoony" style of the center portion of that map.

The map itself made my browser choke for a good while, until it was done downloading. It may be best for such large items to post a small preview image and a link to the high-res version. That would also help avoid having to scroll sideways to read the forum text.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:44 am

YAY glad you like!

Ok, yeah good idea, I will use thumbnails. I will get to that tomorrow
Having to scroll kinda bugs me

Venger
General

Nost Namba Megalar adventure

Post by Venger » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Nost Namba Megalar adventure
I have made a simple webpage that features all of the previous maps I made, along with a couple new ones I am using in my current campaign.

I will go and delete previous links to maps to this thread thereby cleaning it up a bit, but I will leave the text for now.

here is the link

http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/BRPGMaps.htm

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 am

Heh... "Stumble Inn"

I *love* that name!

:D

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:10 am

heheh

it might be more appropriately named "Stumble Out" cause thats what happens after ya been in there too long!

I started a DJ map of it but didnt finish it in time for game day that I intend to finish and post later. I could post the cellar part tho, Ill do that tomorrow

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:03 pm

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:42 pm

Wow, awesome collection Venger 8)

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks Kepli. Coming from you thats a real complment. I admire your artwork and strive to make beautiful maps like the ones I have seen you guys do.

I keep trying different things , learning the tools. Its fun!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:16 pm

That's quite a collection of maps you've got going there, Venger. The mapping elements are useful, too.

Where'd you get the grass texture you used on your Ruined Town map? It's great.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:28 pm

Hey Heruca
Welcome back

If you are referring to the Ruined Settlement, Indeed it is a great grass texture... I used the "Lush grass" from the one you provide in BRPG Maps folder *grins*
I brought it into Photoshop and used the Burn tool and just started doing a bunch of loose figure eights to give it an uneven appearance around the edges, and used the Dodge tool around the center, giving the whole a raised look, as if it were on a mound

If its the textures in the Coppertown map, those are from Battle for Middle Earth2

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:44 pm

Venger wrote:If you are referring to the Ruined Settlement, Indeed it is a great grass texture... I used the "Lush grass" from the one you provide in BRPG Maps folder *grins*
LMAO! That's too funny.

Perhaps I should make an "uneven ground" version of that grass map.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:17 pm

That would be nice.

It's easy to do and you have great artistic taste and could probably do a much nicer job than what I did

With the burn tool the appearnace of grass trails could be made, or if you make the brush very large, then in a swath or two you can have raised and lowered hilly areas

I think I have the brush opacity set to 60 or something like that

Its a very flexible texture

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:48 am

Actually, a set of 'slope' tiles - maybe even translucent overlays, even - would be very handy indeed! Dundjinni has steps overlays but no slopes, so there's an opportunity for a DotW... :wink:
Balesir

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:33 am

Balesir wrote:Actually, a set of 'slope' tiles - maybe even translucent overlays, even - would be very handy indeed! Dundjinni has steps overlays but no slopes, so there's an opportunity for a DotW... :wink:
Actually I've seen a number of slope overlays posted on the Dundjinni forums... people might want to check that out. They should be easily imported into BRPG.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:20 pm

Speaking of interesting textures...

http://www.davegh.com/bladenew/020512.htm

here is the home addy

http://www.davegh.com/blade/davegh.htm

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Yeah, those are great. Unfortunately, I couldn't get permission from David to use them in BRPG. Apparently, this product has too much in common with commercial video games, and that's one of his restrictions for use.

So I can't include any of the textures in the software (even as part of a map). Individual users of BRPG can certainly get some good use out of them, though.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Ahhhh ok good to know.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:26 pm

He he ... I did get permission for commercial maps a while ago :P (with some restrictions of course :wink: )

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:49 pm

Hmm, maybe I should ask for permission to use those textures on commercial maps, too. As long as they're not sold as part of BRPG, I figure that should be OK.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:37 pm

Here is my first map using Terraficta. Its the area our campaign takes place in

http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/BRPG_ter ... laArea.jpg

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:43 pm

Impressive. I like the map style a lot.

Are all the rivers really meant to be about 5 feet wide in most places?

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:16 pm

I didnt really make this map to scale for playing in a tactical situation. Its more of a strategic map. So the rivers are not to scale actually. So ignore the scale icon in the lower right. I need to take that out

I was thinking of doing a scale map using Terraficta though. I dont yet understand Terraficta's scale. The user manual is not very useful as far as map making is concerned.

I would probably use CC3 to make a map correct to scale and then export it as a bitmap, then use that as an underlay to make the Terraficta map on top of.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:03 pm

The first map is the Terrficta map I did earlier, just more refined and with labels.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Your maps are getting better every month, Venger.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks!

Its the inspiration from this community that guides what Im doing now.

I painted a new map last night, the next section of Namba Megalar. Its the Tower Entrance and the text on the page describes its function. Its the last map on the following link

Here is the map by itself.

http://merp.servegame.com/brpg/BRPG_Nam ... erEntr.jpg

One thing you might notice is the distance between rooms
I have decided to make maps with longer distances between rooms and longer corridors, in effect, to not reveal adjacent rooms with the party lighting. Simple as that.

Thus my maps will feature larger rooms, and more spacious places, and will also reflect my vision of the overall scale and size of Middle Earth

i.e. no dragons in a 30x30 room hehehe