Visual Aids don't appear on client instance

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.

Visual Aids don't appear on client instance

Postby dynamicguync » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

I have a number of visual aids (maps, portraits, etc.) that I'm trying to share with my players.
I'm currently running both the DM and client on the same computer, with the client instance being displayed on a TV.

When I send the visual aid (to anyone), it shows up on the DMs instance, and the client instance gets a pop-up message (I believe its the "double-click to close" message), but then the images never show up.

I've tried copying the images to the Visual Aids folder in the client instance folder structure (they are currently in a sub-folder that I created) and they are also in the DM's folder structure.

It seemed to work the first couple of times I used this setup, but for the past 2 sessions it hasn't.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
David
dynamicguync

Re: Visual Aids don't appear on client instance

Postby heruca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:31 pm

You might need to resize the visual aids to ensure that they are under 2MB uncompressed.

2MBs is the largest message that BRPG can transmit via the networking code (exception: maps get sliced up into rows, so they can be bigger).

But given that you have both clients on the same computer, and you've already put the graphics into the proper folder, the easiest thing would be to use the "Batch Import" command (on the Player Client instance) prior to the start of the game session. This will ensure the art is already imported and ready to be shown on a moment's notice.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby heruca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 pm

See pg. 89 of the BRPG User Manual for more details.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby dynamicguync » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks, I'll double check the file sizes and try the import.
dynamicguync

Postby heruca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 pm

By the way, if you manually import the art on the player client, it's OK for the art to be over 2 MB, as it won't need to be transmitted over the network.
heruca
Developer

Return to Bug Tracker