BUG (Mac): Intel Mac Failed Hosting with Wireless

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Weezoh
General

BUG (Mac): Intel Mac Failed Hosting with Wireless

Post by Weezoh » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 pm

Has anyone gotten hosting to work on an Intel mac? (macbook pros?)

Looks like my campaign will be starting up in a few months and if map transfers are working now and we can get hosting to work from my macbook I'll be buying.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:38 pm

And if someone wants to send me an Intel Mac for development & compatability testing, I won't say no. :wink:

Heck, I'll even take a G5.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:41 pm

BTW, I just tested hosting for a wireless client (an old 500MHz G3 iBook) and it worked fine. Even a full-size map transfer went through without a hitch. Makes me wonder what's causing all the trouble out in the real world.

::scratches head::
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:46 pm

Well fwiw we've always been wireless and it's worked; I think I'll try running the PC Version and see if it can host on my intel mac.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:50 pm

That's an interesting test. I'm curious to know how/if it runs on Intel Macs under Windows.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 pm

heruca wrote:That's an interesting test. I'm curious to know how/if it runs on Intel Macs under Windows.
Yep, hosts fine under paralells (Windows XP Pro SP2). right-clicking is a little iffy it seems; have to play more with it later.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:17 pm

Don't forget there's a way to switch how right-clicks are handled in BRPG. Be sure to try both methods.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:47 pm

v1.0.1 has had several tweaks to the networking code, so if you were unable to host games in prior versions, please try again with this one and post your results.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:43 pm

heruca wrote:v1.0.1 has had several tweaks to the networking code, so if you were unable to host games in prior versions, please try again with this one and post your results.
was the first thing I tried :) no difference still hangs at the "Establishing Connection" dialog box.

Parallels still works as before.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:16 pm

I've heard from an Intel Mac user that hosting works fine in v1.0.2b if you have a wired connection, but not if running wireless. Can someone confirm this?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:41 pm

I've made a tweak to the code and am able to successfully host games on an Intel Mac mini. I have it connected via ethernet.

I also want to test hosting while connected wirelessly, but the Mac mini doesn't seem to want to talk to my wireless router no matter what I try. :(

Anyway, there's a decent chance that hosting will work fine on Intel Macs using the next release.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:09 pm

I contacted the developer of the networking code library I'm using in BRPG, asking him if he'd had any reports of his software not working on OS X when hosting in peer-to-peer mode over a wireless connection. Here is the relevant part of his response:

"If it works with wired but not with wireless connections, it seems like a firewall, or an os specific issue.
Can you ask the user to check if firewall is enabled on the wireless adapter?
Also, if that's not the case, they could check their system to see if the wireless adapter is the only one reported having an ip on the system - if for some reason more than one adapters are reported to be active, there is a good chance that the host is listening at the ip of the other (not wireless) adapter."

I'm posting this here in case it's helpful to any of you that are having this problem. I have personally seen cases before where Airport simply wouldn't work unless the Ethernet card was disabled (from the Network panel in System Preferences), so his suggestion is worth trying.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:19 am

Trying to host with 1.0.4 I get a dialog box MUC Not initialized properly

tried differing ports and different values in timeout. the dialog box will appear and click ok, it will immediately re appear. Need to execute a force-quit to exit the program
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:51 am

OK, at least now we're getting somewhere, in that now I know that the cause of all this trouble is that MUC variable isn't initializing for some reason. FYI, MUC is the "virtual agent" that handles all the multi-user messaging in BRPG.

Try one more thing for me. Hold down the Shift key while you click on the "Connect" button. Look for a code number that should appear at the top of the "Establishing Connection..." screen. Let me know what number/s appear there.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:04 pm

heruca wrote:OK, at least now we're getting somewhere, in that now I know that the cause of all this trouble is that MUC variable isn't initializing for some reason. FYI, MUC is the "virtual agent" that handles all the multi-user messaging in BRPG.

Try one more thing for me. Hold down the Shift key while you click on the "Connect" button. Look for a code number that should appear at the top of the "Establishing Connection..." screen. Let me know what number/s appear there.
at first -11 for a second or two then it switches to -13 and stays that way
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:16 pm

Thanks. Now a hard question:
What was the last version of BRPG in which you could successfully host a game on an Intel Mac over wireless? I'm guessing it was either b1.0.9 or RC1.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:38 pm

heruca wrote:Thanks. Now a hard question:
What was the last version of BRPG in which you could successfully host a game on an Intel Mac over wireless? I'm guessing it was either b1.0.9 or RC1.
1.0.9a I remember because I still have it on my HD
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:38 am

OK, for the next version, I've added a means of hosting that uses the code from b1.0.9a to initiate the host connection. Really only one value changed in the line of code, and it's not something that should make any difference, but we'll see if it works. Fingers crossed.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:38 am

I know you hate seeing my handle on the post screen . . . but if the network code changed; i'm not getting any difference.

deleted my prefs and tried 105 and still failed to connect on my macbook pro.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 am

Nonsense, I love seeing your handle on the post screen. And I very much want to see it on this thread, with you telling me you can finally host again.

Two things I need you to confirm: Did you set Port Verification Timeout to something other than 0 AND hold down the Shift key while clicking on the Host button? Doing this hosts a game using the same code as in b1.0.9a, which used to work for you on your Intel Mac.

Are you still seeing the same diagnostic code appear at the top of the Connection panel as you noted a couple of posts back?

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:33 pm

oh no, i didn't see that about Shift etc. . .

OK held shift when clicking host game (timeout was set for 5000 as default)

got -11 and -13 in the window, then the MUC not initialized message.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:40 pm

OK, thanks for checking.

Back to the drawing board. I have no idea why it would have worked in b1.0.9 and it won't work now. It's the same code being run when you use that procedure.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:51 am

did you say it worked on your intel test machine with a wired connection?
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Wired, yes, but not wireless. I never got my wireless router to work well with the Airport card, so I was limited in what I could troubleshoot. And I had to return the loaner Intel Mac.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:55 am

Hmm, if I switch my location to a location that only uses a wired connection, which turns off my airport card wouldn't I be able to open a hosting session? I still get the same thing.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh