BUG (Mac): Intel Mac Failed Hosting with Wireless

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:14 am

You may need to disable other network connections, such as Built-In Firewire.

And with a wired connection, you probably don't want to use the Shift-key method of hosting. Did you try a longer timeout setting?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 am

at work here where I connect via a wire, I can host a game.

I didn't have any actual network when I tried at home before since I was going to just try to have 2 sessions on my laptop. I just switched my location as if I were at work so that it would look for the internet on the ethernet cable.

so definately a problem with intel mac wireless - windows wireless works fine on the same machine.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:54 am

I was able to connect via airport to a game hosted by a friend on a wired network last night.

He was on an iBook G4 running 10.4.8
I was on an Intel iMac running 10.4.8

the interesting thing is that he couldn't host the game either when he was using his wireless connection.

I plan to test this on my wife's iBook which is also a non-intel G4 later.

When he tried to host the game while holding shift down he got the same errors I do on the intel mac.
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Thanks for the updates/info, Weezoh. I also recently found that I couldn't host a game on my G3 iBook, unless it had an internet connection.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:11 pm

Any improvement in v1.0.6b with hosting games wirelessly on a Mac? I changed some settings to make it match b1.0.9 (the last confirmed version where this worked properly).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 pm

I've just been testing BRPG on my new laptop, and I'm able to successfully host games on a MacBook over a wireless connection, using BRPG v1.0.8a.

Not sure what to say, other that it might be some sort of network configuration error that is causing it to fail for a few of you. Or maybe it's working for all of you now, which might explain why I haven't been getting responses in this thread for months.

Ezchdahal
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ezchdahal » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:45 am

I have the same problem on my Intel MacBook Pro with an Airport Extreme wireless router. I get the same errors with 1.08a and 1.1. The BG version doesn't seem to matter.

I called a friend who has an Airport Extreme to verify that I was configuring the port mapping correctly (the Airport utiility can be rather odd at times). It looks like I am doing it correctly (an ssh test worked just fine). We then ran a test with his Airport and an iMac. He suceeded with 1.08a and 1.1.

Interestingly, on my machine, when I upped the timeout to 15000 milliseconds BG showed a -11 immediately and then a -13 about halfway through. Further attempts immediately jumped to -13 and did not wait for the timeout.

Perhaps your 3rd party network code has a problem with this particular network card version? Here's my stats so other MacBook owners can compare. it would be interesting to find out if working MacBooks have different cards...

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.2.2
Wireless Channel: 9

I'm haven't tried the wired test yet. I'll post again if I get a chance to do that tonight.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 am

Welcome, Ezchdahal.

Thanks for the info. I'll look up my Airport specs to compare.

Here's what those status codes mean:
-11: Host port verification in process
-13: Port verification Timeout.

I wonder if it's possible to increase the length of time an Airport Base Station will attempt to connect before it times out.

Did you already try disabling all other network devices (Modem, Ethernet, Firewire, etc.)?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:04 pm

These are my Airport card specs:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.2.2
Wireless Channel: 11

I'm now getting the same results you are, meaning I can't host wirelessly off my MacBook. What changed from before? Well, I am now using a Belkin wireless router, and even after setting the MacBook on DMZ, I am unable to host.

I think the way I managed to get it working before was to share the internet connection from my desktop Mac (over the Airport card), which had an Ethernet connection to my router.

This is all rather puzzling. :?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 pm

heruca wrote:I think the way I managed to get it working before was to share the internet connection from my desktop Mac (over the Airport card), which had an Ethernet connection to my router.
Nope, that doesn't work, either. :(

I'll try to dig into this issue some more after v1.2 is released.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:53 pm

I wouldn't assume it's necessarily the Mac's fault that the Belkin wasn't working. I had a lot of problems with port forwarding on my Belkin router and was never able to get it to work for wireless LAN games.

Everyone should just go and buy a Linksys :P

FuLeng
Cannon Fodder

Mac connection testing

Post by FuLeng » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Hello
Found BRPG a few days ago and after checking the forum i was concerned that i would not work for me, because of the wireless hosting problems. Today i was able to do some testing withthe following setups.
Computers:
1 Imac (intel)
1 MacBookAir
1 XP-Notebook
Connections:
1 via Ethernet to a AVM "Fritzbox" router other 2 via wireless
all via wireless
1 on 1 via adhoc connection
Hosting:
all were tested as host either connected via Ethernet or via wireless.
via adhoc only hosting by Macs was tested.
Gladly i can announce that every tested conneting type worked without any tweaking. BRPG version 1.1 demo
I know that i probably wont help those who have problems connecting, but it looks that those problems are more on the router hardware side than on the Mac hardware side.
FuLeng

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Welcome, FuLeng.

That's great to hear! I wish we could pinpoint exactly what's causing hosting attempts to fail for most wireless Intel Mac users, though. That would make a lot of folks very happy, especially me.