Audio problems in v1.1a

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
ursus
General

Audio problems in v1.1a

Post by ursus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm getting ready for a demonstration on Sunday the 16th, so I wanted to dazzle my friends with all the cool features. After playing with audio, I found some problems.

I plan to use the existing campsite encounter with a few mods to better display features in action. When I sent a sound effect, the campfire sound stopped looping, which I'm not sure if that's a bug or not.

Then, I found other problems. If I send a sound effect once, it works fine, but if I try to send the same sound effect again, nothing happens. If I preview it, I can send it again, or if I choose a new effect, I can send that. But, it doesn't seem to want to repeat an audio effect.

In all cases, I'm only using the sounds that came with Battlegrounds.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Looping sounds are supposed to play in a separate audio channel from non-looping sounds. Looks like it's either a bug, or I placed the audio in the wrong channel when I made the campfire animation. I'll get that fixed for v1.2.

As for the audio only working the first time, I'm not sure what's happening there, but I'll have a look at the code tomorrow. It used to work in prior versions, though. Weird. Does this also happen with audio attached to units, or just audio played from the Send Audio panel?

Thanks for the bug report, btw.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm

This is from the send audio panel.

I didn't try audio attached to a unit.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:20 pm

OK, the issue with the campfire sound cutting out when another sound effect is played is now fixed. I had indeed placed the audio in the wrong channel. :oops:

Note, however, that even with this fix, there is still a limitation that if you play another looping sound, it will replace the campfire audio. I'm afraid there's nothing much I can do about that until the whole sound feature gets overhauled (at which point I hope to support up to 8 concurrent audio channels).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Audio problems in v1.1a

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:15 pm

ursus wrote:If I send a sound effect once, it works fine, but if I try to send the same sound effect again, nothing happens. If I preview it, I can send it again, or if I choose a new effect, I can send that. But, it doesn't seem to want to repeat an audio effect.
In testing, I get different results. I can send a sound successfully and have it play on a connected client only if I previewed that sound before hitting Send.
I can then successfully replay that sound any time I want, as many times as I want.

Could someone else try this out (preferably someone with two computers side-by-side) and post their results?

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:12 pm

I don't have the luxury of two computers. What happened with my situation was that I would try sending to the GM client (my only computer).