Bug - Distance Measuring

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
severin
Captain

Bug - Distance Measuring

Post by severin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:21 am

I don't mean to be dense, but does range measuring work without hosting a game? I cannot seem to get it to work.

I am running BG version 1.1b on a Mac OSX version 10.4.11.

1. Select a figure.
2. Control click and select Measure Range from the pop up.
3. ?

I see no blue line or text indicating the distance. I cleared Prefs just to make sure. No joy.

Severin

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:27 am

It works for me.

Did you read the other replies to this issue?

Try moving the mouse right after selecting the Measure command and before clicking anywhere else (because a click gets you out of measuring mode).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:40 am

I viewed your original instructions in the How Do I...? thread. I tried your suggestion and moved the cursor right after choosing Measure Distance from the pop-up menu. No line or text.

I tried playing with the zoom. I tried switching mice.

Severin

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:55 am

Ah....

1) Go to Map Settings.
2) My "One Cell Equals" input box was set to 5 feet, but the box with the five was black.
3) I Checked Auto Preview.
4) Clicked Ok.
5) The Measure Range functionality works fine.
6) Went back to Map Settings. The box with the 5 in it is no longer black.

Beats me. I just work here...

Sorry for the false alarm?

Severin

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:10 am

Uh, weird. The program defaults to 5 feet per cell until another value is input.

If you find out how to make it not work again, let me know and I can add code to prevent that.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:56 am

Do the map settings get stored in the Prefs folder? The reason I ask is that I followed your advice again and made a copy of my 1.1a version prior to installing 1.1b.

When I was trying to figure out why I was missing the measuring line and text, I tried the 1.1a version and could not see them there either.

Now the they have mysteriously started working in 1.1b, they also work in the 1.1a version.

I am just trying to prove that I am not crazy. So perhaps there is some relationship with the Prefs?

Severin

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:38 am

heruca wrote:The program defaults to 5 feet per cell until another value is input.
severin wrote:Do the map settings get stored in the Prefs folder?
Yes, that setting would be stored in the application preferences for BRPG.

I never tested 1.1a, so perhaps there was some corruption in that value.

severin
Captain

Post by severin » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:08 am

Good. Then the behavior I saw makes sense.

From my perspective this is resolved, but I still think there may be some kind of "feature" [grin] that requires you to edit/modify the Map Settings to get the distance tool to start functioning. Certainly not a crisis or anything.

Severin

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:33 am

To elaborate a bit on this, your distance measuring values are also stored in each Encounter. So you might, for example, have an Area Map encounter done at .25 miles per hex, a town map encounter at 20 feet per square, and a combat Encounter at 5 feet per square.

But when BRPG is first launched, before you load any pre-saved Encounter, the scale defaults to 5 feet per cell. In the future, I will probably allow that default to be changed permanently, in which case it would be saved in the application's preferences.

GURPS players might want all new maps to default to 1 yard per hex, Champions players would want to default to 2 meters per hex, etc.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:17 am

heruca wrote:GURPS players might want all new maps to default to 1 yard per hex, Champions players would want to default to 2 meters per hex, etc.
Yes, GURPS players will want that. :)