Fog of War-selections 'escape'

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
oleingva
General

Fog of War-selections 'escape'

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:04 am

Sometimes when I try to use a rectangular shape when making FoWs, the shape chosen ends up on a completely different part of the map that then the part I tried to select, almost as if the mouse 'skips' in the last instant.

Is this a Battlegrounds error, or has it to do with my mouse driver?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:20 am

I'm not sure, will have to investigate this.

Is the resulting rectangle always offset by exactly half the width & height? Or is it placed completely randomly?

Does using the tool slower help prevent this behavior?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:25 am

It doesn't seem random, but I haven't noticed if it seems to be half of the width and/or height. Often, much of the mask disappears outside the map when it happens, leaving only a small piece of the original selection. I'll try the tool slower help.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:39 am

Okay, here's something - when I pull a selection from the left and to the right and from up to down, it never happens. When I do it in any other direction, it ALWAYS happens. The offset is the same every time, about 80% in both directions. The offset is downwards and/or to the right. I tried plugging out the USB mouse, and using the onboard mouse instead, and the same thing happens.

And after toying with this for a while, I get a director error: Invalid parameter (member of 933of castLib 1) Script Error. Continue?

If I choose Yes, the error returns whenever I try to do something, until I change the cursor mode.

I'm not able to find the tool slower . . . where is that?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for that info. Very helpful!

There is no "Slow" tool. I meant to try using the tool more slowly. :lol:

The error you got regarding "member 933" could mean that your vector shape got corrupted (this is what draws the FoW shapes, the Draw shapes, and the multi-unit selection rectangle). If you continue experiencing problems with the vector tools, try replacing your "MainMIAW.dxr" file with a fresh one from the zip file.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:14 pm

I've now added code to v1.2 that should prevent corruption of the vector shape in the future.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Well, maybe replacing the slow user would help. :( To make matters worse, I even read that sentence several times to try to figure out what you meant. Anyway, that was FAR from my biggest blunder today! :P

Well, trying to use it slower has no effect. I tried replace the MainMIAW.dxr file now, so we'll see if it helps. Note - my MainMIAW.dxr is from the 1.1b patch (forgot to mention that part). Might that have to do with anything? I've had the offset problem in previous versions as well.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 pm

Nope, the error keeps returning. Sorry. :(

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you've quit BRPG, replaced the "MainMIAW.dxr" file with a fresh one from the v1.1b zip, relaunched BRPG, and it STILL gives you an error when trying to use any vector-based tool?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:21 pm

oleingva wrote:When I pull a selection from the left and to the right and from up to down, it never happens. When I do it in any other direction, it ALWAYS happens.
This bug is fixed for v1.2. :D

You can now perform the conceal/reveal drag in any direction, not just top-left to bottom-right.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:35 pm

heruca wrote:Just to make sure we're on the same page, you've quit BRPG, replaced the "MainMIAW.dxr" file with a fresh one from the v1.1b zip, relaunched BRPG, and it STILL gives you an error when trying to use any vector-based tool?
This is correct. But hurrah for fixing the bug!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Oleingva , try changing the Map Settings, then try the FoW reveals.

If that doesn't work, try clearing your Prefs.

If none of that works, then I'm afraid I'm at a loss, and would ask that you reinstall BRPG completely.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:29 pm

What, exactly, should I change on the map settings? Just anything? The error showed up once before, while I was working on an actual map, and now while I've been just used the regular grass field which shows up during start-up. Anyway, fiddling with the map settings didn't do anything, but curiously, I notice that if I don't change the zoom, the selections displays correctly.

And, deleting the prefs didn't do it either. Guess I have to try a reinstall - but that will have to happen later.