Out of memory message

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Out of memory message

Post by Waldo Pepper » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:30 pm

One of my players tonight kept getting the following, at random times during the night:

out of memory while displaying a sprite, even after purging all purgeable castmembers

We're using BG v1.2. I'm not sure about his PC but I think he's runnign Windows XP.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:25 pm

Well, perhaps he was out of memory? :lol: Try to find out how much he has.

If you're using large maps, then BRPG becomes very memory-intensive. It needs to load the entire map & grid into memory, not to mention any FoW Overlays and figures.

Did this message prevent him from participating, or was he able to bypass it?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Yes, please try to find out how much RAM your friend's PC has, and whether he was running a lot of other apps at the same time.

That sounds like a Director-generated error message, not an alert message that I wrote.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 pm

BTW, I coded in my own alert message that should triggered when over 90% of the available RAM is used. I'm surprised that didn't get triggered first. In any case, my alert only comes up once per session, not multiple times.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Post by Waldo Pepper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:19 pm

We were using a plain white background and no tokens so it definitely wasn't the map. I'm waiting to hear back about the computer's specs. He was able to keep using it but it kept popping up at random times.

I also got a bunch of "script error" messages every time someone logged on last night. I hadn't gotten those in the past with 1.1b but I can't say for sure that they're related to 1.2 since I haven't used BG a lot yet. The script errors didn't kill the program but I typically got 3-6 in a row as soon as someone joined the game.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 pm

One thing your friend could try next time, if indeed he has very little RAM, is to reduce the amount of memory BRPG tries to use.

Prior to him launching BRPG, have him edit his BRPG INI file using a text editor. He needs to add a semicolon at the beginning of the ExtraMemory line, then save the file. Adding the semicolon disables that line.

The contents of the INI file should read...
  • [Settings]
    SleepTime=100
    BackgroundSleepTime=1000
    BackgroundAnimation=1
    UseTitleBar=0
    ;FullScreen=0
    ResizeStage=0
    SingleInstance=1
    [Lingo]
    DisplayFullLingoErrorText=1
    [Memory]
    ;ExtraMemory=10240

Waldo Pepper
Soldier

Post by Waldo Pepper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Ok, I've heard back from him.

He has 1 GB of RAM and the only stuff he had running in the background was WinAmp and Firefox (aside from the usual stuff like virus protection, firewall, etc).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Weird. That should be plenty. Especially if he isn't running Vista.

I haven't found too much on Google yet regarding that error message (which applies to both Director and Shockwave-based products), but some folks have suggested that a fresh reboot helps clear that up. I'll keep investigating, though.