conflict between Windows Media Player and BRPG v1.2

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
ursus
General

conflict between Windows Media Player and BRPG v1.2

Post by ursus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:18 am

I had this problem yesterday while playing background music for my game with Windows Media Player. BRPG v1.2 caused my computer to lock up with the only way out to be shutting down my pc the hard way and restarting.

Fortunately, we play face to face, so it didn't kill my game but was a show stopper with respect to using BRPG.

I didn't have the chance to check if I had the same problem with v1.1b.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:17 am

Hmm, never heard of this problem before.

Is this repeatable? What version of WMP are you using? What sound card do you have? Are you logged in as a restricted user (e.g., Guest)?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:56 am

It is repeatable. I ended up restarting twice before I made the connection.

WMP 11.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

Logged in with full control.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Windows problem rather than a BRPG problem. My system has been a little flaky the past few months, which is why I bought a USB drive to back up my data.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:03 am

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can duplicate this on my XP PC.

Are you just playing standard MP3 files? Is there some reason you prefer not to play your audio clips directly from BRPG?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:14 am

heruca wrote:Are you just playing standard MP3 files? Is there some reason you prefer not to play your audio clips directly from BRPG?
Standard mp3's.

Reason for using WMP for audio: I have been collecting theme music for quite some time now. So, I have all the music organized in WMP, and all I have to do is like two mouse clicks to switch from "exploration" to "combat" music.

BTW, the soundtrack for Riven is great background music for exploring a cave or dungeon.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:21 pm

Well, I thought it was repeatable. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm trying to duplicate it, but no luck so far.

I've loaded up the encounter I was using at the time. I think it's worth mentioning that my pc didn't crash until like 20-30 minutes after starting the music in WMP with BRPG already running.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 pm

What exactly stopped responding? BRPG? WMP? Both? The entire computer?

Edit: Never mind. You answered that in the OP.