Acrobat distiller

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
GMBazUK
Captain

Acrobat distiller

Post by GMBazUK » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Not so much a bug report, as a little feedback:

From an earlier post, Kelpi reported that after BG had crashed he was getting an Acrobat Distiller message (my Dutch isnt as good as it should be).

I am getting a message from time to time (as their doesnt seem to be any particular consistency to the event) that Acrobat Distiller needs to quit.

It doesnt stop my enjoyment of 1.2, as BG seems unaffected, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I will report again if I can clarify the event any further i.e. It pops up after a crash etc...

Baz
As Einstein once said... did you let the cat out Mileva?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:27 pm

For reference, here's Kepli's original post.

Does this only seem to happen if BRPG was used to open the User Manual from the BG button's popup menu, thereby launching Acrobat?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Actually, now you mention it...

I have never been able to open the manual from the BG menu, although I have clicked on that option a couple of times recently.

Heres what I just tried:
1. Launched BG , clicked on User Maual - Nothing
2. Counted to ten (OK Im no Scientist)
3. Clicked on User Manual - Nothing
4. Quit BG - No problem closing down
5. Relaunched BG - No problems loading up.

Ive got Acrobat 8 (latest version for PC) installed.

Im not that fussed, my laptop is a bit long in the tooth, and must be a male, as it is not that good at multi-tasking.

Baz.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:46 pm

From page 9 of the User Manual, under "Installation":
[quote]Microsoft Windows users must place a shortcut to their preferred PDF-viewing program in the BRPG folder, and name the shortcut œPDF Viewer
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:16 pm

My apologies Heruca, Im afraid I fall into that sub-group (it might be just me) of, lack-luster, never read the instructions, wheres the end product, users. :oops:

I still havent read them, but took your advice as posted. Unfortunately upon launch Acrobat informed me that there was an error open the document. The file could not be found.

I have not moved the manual PDF from the root folder of BG.

Baz.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I just tested it on my Windows XP machine and it worked fine.

Are you certain you placed a shortcut to your PDF Viewer in BRPG's root folder, and not the actual PDF viewer app? I've only tested this with Adobe Reader 7, but it should work with other apps, too, or other versions of Adobe Reader.

Also make sure that the User Manual's filename is "BRPG User Manual", because it won't find it if the file's name has been changed.

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 am

Please see attached image of my BG folder.

I tried it again this morning, just in case my system maintenance software was messing with things, and I got the same result.

Personally Im not too fussed. Its a small glitch in what is turning out to be a fantastic utility.

Baz.
Attachments
BG.png
BG.png (60.38 KiB) Viewed 4805 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 am

Looks OK. Does Adobe Reader launch properly if you double-click your shortcut icon? Is your Adobe Reader software up-to-date? Not sure why that would matter, but it may be worth a shot.

What flavor of Windows are you running, btw? Mine looks different, and doesn't show the file suffixes/extensions (although I'm sure that's just a preference setting).

If you launch Adobe Reader first and then try to access the User Manual from within BRPG, does it work then?

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:25 pm

In response Heruca:

1. I have the very latest version of Acrobat 8
2. Im running windows XP which is up to date. (I think your correct, the file suffix is a personal preference).
3.I did as you asked, and the same response -
There was an error opening this document. File cannot be found.

Perhaps another windows user or three will report their experience with this.

Baz.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:48 pm

The only other thing I can think of to try is re-downloading the stand-alone User Manual from here, just in case your original PDF got corrupted somehow.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:31 pm

One slight OT question.

I too have a full version of Acrobat - but I have Foxit Reader set as my default PDF reader because it is so much faster. Do you really find the full version of Acrobat best for reading?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:35 pm

I've never used anything else on Windows, so I can't recommend any specific programs (on Mac OS X, I much prefer the Preview app). But if you place a shortcut to Foxit Reader in BRPG's root folder and renamed it "PDF Viewer", then in theory the User Manual can be opened from within BRPG using Foxit Reader as the viewing app, instead of Adobe Acrobat.

GMBazUK
Captain

Post by GMBazUK » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:30 pm

By way of an update,

I downloaded the manual and replaced my original version in the BG folder, but to no avail.

This time the failure to open, was followed by a Microsoft window telling me that Acrobat Distiller had to close, and apologising for any inconvenience.

But also again, it didnt seem to upset my experience of BG in anyway.

Baz.