Serious Director Error Wackiness 1.2b WinXP

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
BTS1967
General

Serious Director Error Wackiness 1.2b WinXP

Post by BTS1967 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 am

Ok, not sure we can replicate this and not sure I would want too. I had a map (actually the starting screen of our campaign) up with text added (message of the day).

I had two players log on (just the three of us today) using my floating licenses.

Player one would connect, receive a license, and the map send would begin. Then when player two would connect, receive a license, and the map send would begin, the first player to connect would get the following error message:

director player error
invalid parameter
(member 43 of CASTLIB 2)
Script Error.continue?
Yes/No

Note that the number "43" would vary and while we didnt validate it, it did seem to be growing incrementally after each loop.

After clicking through on Yes (No crashed BRPG) multiple times he would receive:

out of error while saving 43
43 of player-cast2
Ok

On clicking Ok, sometimes he would crash and sometimes the whole loop would restart. When he logged back on and got a license, he would get the license without issue and THEN the whole affair would repeat for the other player as the player who dropped reconnected. This flip-flopped between the players till we all closed BRPG.

I then didnt load the startup but used the default green. Both players could logon without incident and after licenses were assigned, I then loaded up the startup map with message of the day without any problems.

BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 05, 2008 12:13 pm

"member 43 of CASTLIB 2" is just Director's way of saying "the first empty slot for new media, in the file called User Cast.cst".

Is one of your players running low on RAM or hard disk space?

It sounds like BRPG is successfully sending a map to multiple players at once, but messing up when one player tries to get the map halfway through the send cycle for the first player. Would you agree? I'll double-check the code, since that is supposed to be possible.

In the meantime, it may not be a bad idea if you have your players log in while your message of the day is showing on either the default grass map, or the black or white backgrounds. Once everyone is logged in, load your Encounter, which will initiate a simultaneous map transfer to all the players.

Using media asset bundles or a server-based map would also avoid this issue you're having.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 am

I agree with your assessment; that is what seems to be happening. In terms of RAM one player has the same machine as me (2gig) and player 2 has 1 gig.

I will run through those scenarios next time we get together... couple weeks given mothers day weekend.

In terms of the media asset, I just started using it as I didnt realize it was an option till recently. I used it for all of our other maps but not the startup as the startup was something we used in our previous session (though that was with 1.2).

BTS

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue May 06, 2008 7:45 am

BTS1967 wrote:I used it for all of our other maps but not the startup as the startup was something we used in our previous session (though that was with 1.2).
Don't forget that you can copy your old User_Cast.cxt file to the new version when upgrading to keep your old imported media.