1.2d:Fow: Missized and placed overlay

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
nortonweb
General

1.2d:Fow: Missized and placed overlay

Post by nortonweb » Wed May 14, 2008 12:29 am

If the GM forces player view the overlay is misplaced and reduced in size into the top left corner of the screen.

The player can fix this by opening their prefs screen and clicking on more pref's. This then fixes their view.

There are of course work arounds by using a very large black sq to hide the whole map until everyone has had their view forced and opened prefs and clicked next. From this point the black sq can be deleted and the GM should avoid forcing any more player views.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 14, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm not getting this behavior. Are you sure you're not still using the last pre-release version of v1.2d? This was the last bug fix I implemented, so it should be working properly now.

As a possible workaround, when it was broken for me, I had some success by changing the Map Settings twice.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Never mind. After selecting a FoW color and then forcing the view, I got it to happen. :?

My workaround seems to work (and "stick", until the next FoW Overlay change or color change), but of course by the time you need to use it, most of the map will have been exposed to the players. So until this is fixed, I recommend that GM's use the Blackout feature prior to changing the FoW Overlay or Fog Color. Once they have resized the map twice, they can turn Blackout off, and the players will never have gotten to see anything they shouldn't have.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 pm

So just to be clear...

This FoW problem doesn't occur if you're only using the default black FoW?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

AFAIK, yes. Only using the FoW Overlay button or choosing a new FoW Color seems to activate this bug.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 pm

OK using a new encounter file (grass map, 2 figures, one object and FoW on with exposed areas using free hand tool and manual and dynamic set) and I agree I can't get the effect.

But. Using an old encounter file (1.2 built) which has been converted to 1.2a. Having switched FoW off, saved it, loaded it, switched it back on, exposed the areas again and saved it. This is getting the effect on the first force view.

Could it be the encounter conversion? Could it be I have a lot of light sources?

I'm emailing you the encounter file and media assets.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 14, 2008 11:47 pm

I'll test out what you sent me, but I highly doubt it's an Encounter version issue. Number of light sources shouldn't affect anything except rendering time. More likely it's a map cell dimension issue.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Thu May 15, 2008 1:24 am

Now thats a thought I haven't tried that.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 am

I resized the map so its 61px but I'm still getting it. If noone else reports this I'm happy for it to be "user error" and I'll work round it. I'll need to rebuild the encounters where I'm seeing this from scratch to really see whats causing it. Thanks for looking into tho.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri May 16, 2008 12:17 pm

I think I've finally got this bug fully fixed for the next release. So don't bother rebuilding your Encounters, Nortonweb (not that that would have helped).