Multiple people can't do things at once

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
kato42
General

Multiple people can't do things at once

Post by kato42 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:41 pm

This is not normally a problem, but occassionally shows up.

The best example of this was last Saturday, I had loaded an encounter I hadn't finished, so I was rushing to slap the missing objects and tokens onto the board while my players (im)patiently waited.

Some of them logged out, and logged in again, some fiddled with their tokens while they waited, and that was when the problems started. If I tried to add a piece at the same time as someone else was doing something, errors would ensue. at one point it actually crashed the program so bad I had to reboot my PC.

After that I didn't start the host session until I had fixed the board and was ready for them to come in.

That shouldn't normally be a problem, but I have found on occassion that if a player and the GM try to do something at the same time, or two players try to do something, it can result in one of two things:

A. a string of errors.

B. a huge lag that takes several minutes to catch up (dice rolls not showing up until 5 minutes later, that sort of thing).

Any ideas? Or should I just be anal about saying no one touches anything while someone else is doing something? Because of the turn based nature of D&D that isn't niormally a problem, but I've had occassions where a player was still fiddling with the exact positioning of his token when another player starts going (that also freaks out the turn sequencer).
Running 4 player D&D 4th ed. campaign over the net using BRPG 1.6b.

Sholari
General

Post by Sholari » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:21 am

Really? I have only gamed with this software once and it worked alright for me. I changed the map once and added the standard deployment ( 4 characters) and added only a couple of items. I was using 1.3d at the time. My players were continually figgiding with there characters.

I would mention that the Turn Sequencer wasn't that easy to use. But it kind of makes sense from what you encountered where multiple people doing things causes problems for the program. I was ether entering numbers in the TS or changing them and somtimes it would work other times it wouldn't. That's when I gave up utilzing the TS to keep track of data and just used it to keep track of who's turn it was.

I beleive that this program should be able to handle dropping in objects on the fly. Do you know how much memory your newly added objects were? and which version of BG you were using?

Thanks

ursus
General

Post by ursus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:50 am

In a recent session, I noticed similar problems that didn't occur until I started messing around with my character token while the GM was adding figures for an encounter. Prior to that, everything seemed to be running just fine.

We were running v1.2g, I think.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:09 pm

As my sig states, I'm using 1.3d.

The objects I was dropping on the fly were a pretty standard size, I don't think anything was particulalry huge.

I'm going to have to make notes when I run into these problems so I can report them properly.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:09 pm

BRPG is designed for turn-based RPGs (and boardgames). It doesn't have any lock-out features that prevent moving things at the same time that someone else does.

Perhaps I should add a "Player Lockout" feature to keep those unruly, impatient players in line. :lol:

It could be a toggle, much like the Blackout feature, except they could still see the map and tokens. They just wouldn't have access to anything while the Lockout is enabled.

I'd strongly advise players not to log off and log back in again willy-nilly. A VT isn't like a simple text chat app. There's a lot of media transfers that can get triggered just by logging into a game session, and that can impact everyone involved.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

kato42
General

Post by kato42 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Fair enough, I may have to work harder to keep the players in line. Particulalry when trying to update data to five or six client machines. Throwing in other things like moving tokens around or dice rolls while its supposed to be sending a major Turn Sequence update (adding all the new monsters to the TS) or pictures (I find as long as I'm only sending a few small pictures out its okay, but an entire map constructed from tiles is too much) is just going to cause problems.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:22 pm

It's worth remembering how difficult managing simultaneous multi-user access is. The simple way is freezing access so that only one user at a time can can make changes. For anything more complex there has to be a protocol that decides which changes (of whose changes) take priority, plus a complex system for keeping track of changes, plus feedback to users for final decision making. Even the simple lockout system can be very frustrating when some users have a slow connection.