Roll Die Macro Button bug

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Kazander
General

Roll Die Macro Button bug

Post by Kazander » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:22 am

If you use the Roll Die Macro button prior to rolling any dice in any other way, it appears to lock up the die roller. R key no longer works, and you can't roll dice from the context menu on figures.

If you roll the dice once any other way, it appears to avoid this problem.
Last edited by Kazander on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am

Unable to duplicate.

It does take a bit longer for the dice window to open on the very first use, but that's nothing new.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:42 am

Hmmm. Okay, it's a little more specific than I thought. It has to be a die macro associated with a figure, not a global one.

I can replicate it every time, and with multiple encounters. Here's an example encounter and asset bundle.
Attachments
Encounter.zip
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 273 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks for the files. With them, I was easily able to see the bug.

I suspect the Dice Roller is opening, but is located off-screen where you can't see it or interact with it. The "Roll Dice" button on the Command panel would seem to back up this theory.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu May 20, 2010 6:25 pm

I think I may have found the cause of this bug. It has to do with the dice colors used. If any die color other than black or blue are used in the dice macro, and that dice color hasn't been previously loaded during the current BRPG session, the dice macro won't load or autoroll properly.

Workaround: At the start of the BRPG session, open the dice roller and pre-load all the dice colors. Thereafter, dice macros will work, regardless of where the roll is initiated from.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun May 23, 2010 6:03 pm

OK, this is fixed for v1.6c. :)

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Not sure I agree with your assertion that it's fixed, Heruca. Your work around (Shift-R) keeps it from being a game-breaker, but with that encounter I attached updated to 1.6c format, this still happens after every roll of a die macro for me (i.e. I 'lose' the Die Macro window).

I have to use Shift-R anytime I want to get the Dice Macro window back.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Weird, as it works fine for me. I actually used your Encounter and dice macros to test and make sure the bug was fixed. I wonder if it's a Windows-only issue?

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Well, I don't know. I just tried the Full Install of 1.6c, and I get the same result. I tried different resolutions to see if that would have any effect, but no change.

The Shift-R is a bit flakey too. It doesn't always work. I have to make sure that the main BRPG window is the selected window (which it isn't after making any die roll), and even then it sometimes takes a couple of tries before the Dice macro window appears.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Do you by chance have dual displays?

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Sometimes. When I test, I just test with one monitor at 1920x1200. When I'm actually having a game session, I also turn on my old CRT at 1024x768, just for the Turn Sequencer. I've not had an issue yet with certain windows appearing across both monitors, like some others have reported.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Try testing once more after moving your TS Settings to the "Disabled Turn Sequencer Settings" folder prior to loading your Encounter.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Disabling the Turn Sequencer settings made no difference.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 26, 2010 11:30 pm

OK, thanks for trying. I'll test on Windows tomorrow to see if it's a platform-specific bug.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Any luck with this one?

I see in that other thread that you are looking to make 1.6c your new stable platform. I have a hard time supporting that with a major feature like this not working (even if it's just for me), because I can't move to 1.6c with this problem as it is.

fb66
General

Post by fb66 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 pm

H

I downloaded the encounter file above and replicated the fault on my machine (windows vista based).

I also then created an encounter and a deployment and found that all macros assigned to figures cause this fault.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 am

OK, must be a Windows-only bug then. Will try to fix it soon.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:05 pm

I've been able to confirm the bug, and that it only manifests on Windows PCs. Looking for the cause and a fix, and will keep you updated.

Edit: On my XP PC, even if I try to roll a global dice macro from the "Roll Dice Macro..." button on the map window, the Dice Roller window vanishes (the roll occurs, I just can't see it). Oddly enough, if I disable auto-rolling, it works fine.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 pm

I think I've discovered the cause of this bug. It's due to a bug in Director that only affects Windows users, and the bug is best explained as follows:
"Child" windows (i.e., any window in BRPG other than the Map window) cannot resize themselves. The command to resize a window apparently has to come from the "parent" window (i.e., the Map window, in BRPG).

Now that I know the cause, I should be able to fix it tomorrow.

I think we had an issue fairly similar to this back around v1.4b or v1.4d, where the Commands panel wasn't resizing properly for players on Windows when they logged into a game session.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am

This bug is fixed for v1.6d.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:23 pm

FYI, this bug still manifests occasionally for 1.6j. Shift-R usually works to reset it, but once last night it did not appear to work, and a player had to restart BRPG.