Script error on clients when switching to alternate token

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Kazander
General

Script error on clients when switching to alternate token

Post by Kazander » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:16 am

When switching between tokens for a given figure (standing and prone tokens for example), a script error was consistently generated on connected client machines. This were tokens that were not part of an Artpack. It didn't cause a crash of BRPG, and the clients were able to hit Continue when it happened with no adverse effect.
Last edited by Kazander on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 am

Unable to duplicate.

Does this error only occur while using your current Turn Sequencer settings?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm

No, TS settings don't appear to make a difference.

I've attached the Encounter and Asset File (it's big!). The Minotaur and the dwarf Thortak are the only ones that have alternate tokens and thus have the problem.
Attachments
CURRENT.zip
(15.85 MiB) Downloaded 199 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Weird. When I first loaded the Encounter, I wasn't getting some tokens to appear, like the minotaur and most of the Dwarf's extra tokens. I selected "Import Encounter Assets" and it told me that there were still 11 items that needed to be imported (i.e., they weren't already in my User Cast, even though the auto-import had worked when I loaded the Encounter). So apparently, something caused the auto-import to fail/abort partway through. I don't see anything untoward in your token names that would cause that, so it's a bit of a headscratcher. Before your next game session, ask your players to manually import the media bundle before they connect to you.

I haven't tried it with a player connected yet, so I can't comment on the token-swapping error, other than to suppose the player clients were for some reason failing to request the missing token/s via peer-to-peer transfer.

Out of curiosity, is there some reason you used the free version of DevilDan's Minotaur instead of the retouched ones from the BRPG artpack?
Last edited by heruca on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:39 pm

By the way, you're making great use of your artpacks, and of BRPG in general. 8)

Don't forget to use the View Manager to set View names and zoom levels. :wink:

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:07 pm

heruca wrote:Out of curiosity, is there some reason you used the free version of DevilDan's Minotaur instead of the retouched ones from the BRPG artpack?
Well, first of all, it came out when I was out of town and really busy at work. It kind of got forgotten about. Mentally, it wasn't a priority simply because I already had about 90% of those same tokens....it seemed hard to justify paying for them. I think it's the only artpack I don't have.

It's a lot easier to browse the filesystem with thumbnails turned on than it is to browse BRPG's place figure/object windows. (hint, hint :wink: )

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:12 pm

heruca wrote:Don't forget to use the View Manager to set View names and zoom levels. :wink:
Yeah, I'm still learning to adapt my habits to it. It will take a while. There'd be a lot more need for it if I could say, use bigger maps. (hint, hint :wink: )

BTW, yes there was a significant speed improvement with 'g' over 'f'. Thanks. It's still not what I would describe as 'snappy', but it's definitely better. 'f' was really trying our patience.
Last edited by Kazander on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:15 pm

Kazander wrote: I think it's the only artpack I don't have.
My mistake. I thought you owned that artpack. :oops:
Kazander wrote:It's a lot easier to browse the filesystem with thumbnails turned on than it is to browse BRPG's place figure/object windows. (hint, hint :wink: )
For v2, I intend to have a media browser that lets you view a pageful of thumbnails at once. I realize the current system is not optimal, but changing it in v1.x would require a massive rewrite.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:03 am

This is still a problem in 1.6h.

Alternate tokens which are not the currently-selected token, and are not part of an artpack, do not appear to be transferring properly, and are causing script errors when the token is switched after the client has joined.

I can create a very simple encounter to duplicate this consistently, not just the complex encounter attached up-thread.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Sigh. Expect BRPG v1.6i sometime next week. :roll:

Keep those bug reports coming over the weekend, I want to squash them all.

In the meantime, next time you get this error, see if doing a "Force Full Update" fixes the issue.

Edit: Forcing a full update worked for me.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 pm

heruca wrote:Keep those bug reports coming over the weekend, I want to squash them all.
Unfortunately I'll be away from tonight thru Tuesday morning, so last night was the only real chance I'll have for testing. :(
heruca wrote:Forcing a full update worked for me.
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am

Kazander wrote:Alternate tokens which are not the currently-selected token, and are not part of an artpack, do not appear to be transferring properly, and are causing script errors when the token is switched after the client has joined.
This is fixed in v1.6i.