Large Object never auto-imported from a Media Asset Bundle

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Kazander
General

Large Object never auto-imported from a Media Asset Bundle

Post by Kazander » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 am

Tried this tonight due to it being a large map (4000 pixels wide), being used as an Object rather than a map. No FoW.

3 of 3 client machines would not import the bundle when the encounter was loaded. They had to exit and manually import the assets. Same thing with another encounter. It was also brutally slow, like it was trying to do something.

It generated a script error on the clients if I loaded the encounter while they were connected.
Attachments
TombOfSaulNDaur.zip
(7.62 MiB) Downloaded 215 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 am

The Encounter file seems to have lost the link to the media asset bundle. That's why it didn't auto-load for the connected player clients.

It auto-imported fine once I edited the Encounter file in a text editor to re-establish the link by specifying the name of the bundle file.

I added the text shown below in red, then saved the file.
[[13, 17, "Dun", "Hex", 1, "4 481b5098", 0, 0, 75, 0, 0, 40, 40, 0, 0, rgb( 0, 0, 0 ), "", "", [[]], 0, "Manual and Dynamic", 1, "Yards", "TombOfSaulNDaur", "Black_4000x3026", 1, "Client Chooses", "Client Chooses", ...<continues>
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Large Object never auto-imported from a Media Asset Bundle

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:18 am

Kazander wrote:It was also brutally slow, like it was trying to do something.
I suspect that, since the map media wasn't auto-loading, the player clients were repeatedly asking the GM Client for the giant "map" asset via peer-to-peer transfer, instead. Since the map was actually an object, and exceeded the maximum size BRPG can handle for token graphics, the attempt kept failing and re-starting, creating a nasty loop.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:45 am

By the way, you did a good job in this Encounter of completely bypassing the 40 x 40 cell map size limit, and your "alternate Fog of War system" works well.

I just made an interesting discovery. I noticed that panning around was a bit sluggish for me. Since you weren't using the map (because your "map" is actually an object), I tried using the Map Settings panel to set the map/grid size to 1 x 1 cell (the minimum size possible). From then on, panning around was really fast and responsive. Apparently, the sluggishness was caused by BRPG having to process the transparency of the 40 x 40 cell grid overlay (even though I had the grid overlay hidden).

Try it out and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the speed difference when panning around.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:03 pm

heruca wrote:The Encounter file seems to have lost the link to the media asset bundle. That's why it didn't auto-load for the connected player clients.

It auto-imported fine once I edited the Encounter file in a text editor to re-establish the link by specifying the name of the bundle file.
Then that means 1.6i isn't saving that link properly, because I just looked at my 2 'current game state' encounter saves from after last night's session, and they're both missing this as well.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Was this Encounter originally created in an older version of BRPG, and then auto-updated? Supposedly, as of v1.6g you are able to save changes to the Encounter without losing the link to a media bundle.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes, it would have originally been created early in the 1.6 line, then auto-updated. I thought creating a new save of it in 1.6i would correct any problem with having created it originally in a version with that bug though. No?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:31 pm

It would have if you'd done another media export after the auto-update. I think the issue may be that your source Encounter might have already been missing the link to the bundle, even before you auto-updated the Encounter.

Kazander
General

Post by Kazander » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:26 pm

The encounter was updated several days ago; it was Exported just last night, so it was done after the autoupdate.