Objects saved as Deployment auto-hide after loading (2 bugs)

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Kazander
General

Objects saved as Deployment auto-hide after loading (2 bugs)

Post by Kazander » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am

I was playing around with your suggestions on this topic regarding "Place an object, set the Portrait to be the current token, set the object to be Free-Floating, and then do an "Edit object...: to scale it way down."

It's a good idea which I hadn't thought of (although I probably would have if I played any of the BPRG boardgames).

But I was playing with it, and considering that to be truly useful in the context of RPG's where the map changes regularly, you have to be able to load these on every map.

Thus I saved these objects as a deployment--which I wasn't sure if I could do or not--and that worked okay. However, you have to ctrl-click on each object because objects don't get selected when you drag the marquee. You can tell simply because the button to Save Deployment stays 'greyed out'. Yes, it says "figures & objects" in the context menu. This is Bug #1.

Bug #2 is that when you do save the deployment by ctrl-clicking each object, when you go to load the deployment, all objects load as Hidden. "Hide this unit after deploying" was NOT selected. Only Objects exhibit this behaviour, not Figures.

Kazander
General

Re: Objects saved as Deployment auto-hide after loading (2 bugs)

Post by Kazander » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:45 am

Kazander wrote:Thus I saved these objects as a deployment--which I wasn't sure if I could do or not--and that worked okay. However, you have to ctrl-click on each object because objects don't get selected when you drag the marquee. You can tell simply because the button to Save Deployment stays 'greyed out'. Yes, it says "figures & objects" in the context menu. This is Bug #1.
Correction: this only happens with Free-floating objects, which I'm sure is by design so there is no Bug here. Bug #2 still applies though.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 am

That's correct, the selection marquee is designed to ignore free-floating objects. You have to shift-click them to select multiple FFOs (or, on Windows, you can Control-click them instead).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:01 pm

As for bug #2, I've always had units from a Deployment load Hidden, in case the GM wants to reposition them before the players can see them. For v1.6j, I've made it so that the hidden or visible status of the unit is preserved when saving or loading units from a Deployment file. So if you want a unit to be hidden when loaded from a Deployment file, you should hide the unit before saving the Deployment file.

The exception to this is when using the "Load Deployment Here..." command. Units loaded in this manner will always be hidden by default, since they will almost certainly not be in their intended final positions.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:16 pm

For BRPG v1.6k, I fixed a bug I found in v1.6j which was causing objects to always save as hidden in Deployment files. Each object's shown/hidden status is now properly retained in Deployment files, and is applied when the Deployment is loaded.