Tree canopy Fog of War

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
markuwp
General

Tree canopy Fog of War

Post by markuwp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 am

I created an encounter using the tree map and Fog of War overlay. When I use it on my computer it looks great-- the tree canopies fade away as the characters get closer (it is a daytime encounter, but I assigned light sources to the characters as a way to define their vision range for FOW purposes).

However, when I ran the encounter with my players their screens still had a solid black Fog of War instead of the treetop image I saw on my screen with the "view player Fog of War view" checked. I was able to change the Fog color from black to white, but could not get any of the players' screens to display the treetop overlay.

Any ideas or solutions? I loved the effect when I tested it on my machine, so would like to get this fixed before we play next if at all possible.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:33 am

I'm not sure why this didn't work. I'll have to run some tests tomorrow with a client connected.

Switching to any color and then switching back to the tree canopy overlay should have forced it to load for the players.

Does it work properly if you load the "FoW Overlay Sample.bge" Encounter that comes with BRPG?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

I'll try the sample encounter

Post by markuwp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:17 pm

heruca wrote: Does it work properly if you load the "FoW Overlay Sample.bge" Encounter that comes with BRPG?
I'll try that when I can get a player connected and will let you know. Thanks for taking a look at this.

markuwp
General

FOW sample encounter doesn't work either

Post by markuwp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:37 pm

I tried the sample FOW overlay sample encounter. It does not work either. Everything looks normal on my screen, but the fog of war is just solid black on my player's screen. I can change the color of the FOW, but it won't show the overlay on the players' screens.

We then tried switching. My friend hosted the sample encounter as the DM and I connected as a player. Everything worked just fine, and the tree overlay looked just as it was supposed to look. I had multiple players seeing the same thing when I was DMing, so I assume the problem is on my end. Any ideas or suggestions?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:12 am

Sounds to me like the FoW overlay simply isn't loading for your players for some reason, and it seemed to work fine for you as a player because you already had the FoW overlay imported.

When you were hosting, after you selected the FoW overlay, did you click on the "Update on Player Clients" button?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

FOW

Post by markuwp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 pm

heruca wrote:Sounds to me like the FoW overlay simply isn't loading for your players for some reason, and it seemed to work fine for you as a player because you already had the FoW overlay imported.

When you were hosting, after you selected the FoW overlay, did you click on the "Update on Player Clients" button?
Yes, I did hit both the "Update on Player Clients" on the FOW menu and the "Force Update" several times throughout the session. At first I thought it might just be taking longer to transfer or load, but we had the session up for hours and it never worked.

Our next session is tomorrow. Any ideas for how I could make it work? We can still finish the encounter without FOW, but the tree effect is very cool so I'd like to include it in this "ambush" encounter if at all possible.

heruca
Developer

Re: FOW

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 am

markuwp wrote:Our next session is tomorrow. Any ideas for how I could make it work? We can still finish the encounter without FOW, but the tree effect is very cool so I'd like to include it in this "ambush" encounter if at all possible.
I doubt I can get BRPG v1.7 released tomorrow, so what I suggest you do is have each of your players load the "FoW Overlay Sample.bge" Encounter prior to joining your game session. This will cause all of the required graphics to be automatically imported.

Also, during play, make sure that "Blackout Mode" is disabled for them.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm

OK, I tested this with v1.6m and was able to reproduce the problem.

I was able to get it working by selecting the "Import Encounter Assets" command on the player client, and selecting "FoW Overlay Sample.cxt".

Diagnosis: The FoW Overlay graphic was not being P2P-transferred to the clients when the Encounter was loaded, so an all-black FoW layer was being shown, instead. Once the asset was imported on the player client, it worked fine.

markuwp
General

Confirmed here, too

Post by markuwp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I tried it again after having my player load the FOW overlay sample encounter on his computer first before he connected to me. Once he had done that, everything worked just fine-- both the sample encounter and the one I'd created. I'll have the rest of our group do the import asset command before we start tonight.

I really appreciate your lighting fast responses and troubleshooting. Thanks for helping to save the day (or at least the session)!