Truncating Object Names Error

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
TRIAD4Evr
General

Truncating Object Names Error

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

I was setting up a map for an upcoming Battleground session with the 1.7a version of RPG Edition and I was trying to place an object of art downloaded from the forums over at Dundjinni and it said something about file names of a certain length being truncated, then instead of placing the object, it placed a question mark on the map and said I must re-import the art. Well there was nothing I could do to make it work except exit Battlegrounds and manually find the art file and manually shorten the name itself. This is an issue especially for downloaded filed because they have a naming convention that makes for very long filenames. Is this how this function is supposed to work?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 am

Can you please email me the Encounter file and a media asset bundle made from it?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:02 am

_With_ the question mark thing or without? I didn't save the question mark thing but I can reproduce it really easily.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:07 am

With, so I can figure out where things went wrong.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:17 am

Done. I recreated the error with a small map with a figure, a portrait, and an object, all of whom had filenames longer than 27 characters and being improperly displayed after truncation. It is coming from my Yahoo email addy!

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Incidentally, the cleaning up of file names in the figures and portraits that led to my very big very bad Purge Media and Map loading issue was in an effort to work around this problem. A solution here might be nice...

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:55 am

I agree. It would be nice to have some free time to devote to fixing a few remaining bugs. Hopefully September will be better than August was, in that regard.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:57 am

Believe me, I understand! I can deal with this messy pre-organize copy if I have to... do you think it's safe to rename the 27+ length filenames in the meanwhile?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 am

It's safe to rename anything that has never been imported into BRPG, and in fact I encourage you to do so to avoid having issues.

It's not "safe" to rename anything that is already referenced in saved Encounters and/or Deployments unless you take the extra step of also renaming the media asset references in those files.

Hope that made sense.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:27 am

What about moving it to another directory but preserving the filename?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:33 am

If by that you mean, for example, moving a bunch of media from, say, the Figures folder into the Objects folder, sure you can do that, as long as you realize that said media will no longer be available to browse through when using the "Place Figure" command (it will instead be browsable when using the "Place Object" command).

Once media has been used in BRPG (e.g., imported) you can remove it from the various media folders with no ill effect.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:35 am

Ya I am thinking of taking all the longfilenames and moving them to folders I won't otherwise use to make new encounters and such and then setting up new folders with the cleaned up and organized files.