Maps, Figures getting "?"

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
TRIAD4Evr
General

Maps, Figures getting "?"

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:21 pm

I am having, somewhat randomly, figures and maps showing up as "?" when I try to load them. The maps, it happens when I startup the program and then try the "Choose Map" function. The figures are in the Figures directory but I've not used those specific figures before. I have tried to "Batch Import" them and it did work once for a figure but hasn't worked with the rest, including one of the token packs "Marcus-Highwayman"- even though they show up right on the figure list, they are a "?" on the tabletop, even after "Batch Importing" them again. Other figures are showing up fine- it doesn't make any sense to me... I really don't think Batch Import is working at all.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:58 pm

It sounds like perhaps you have filled up your media library (the "User Cast.cxt" file), and you need to purge some old media before you can import any more.

Use the "Purge Media" panel, available from the BG button's popup menu, to make some space.

Let me know if that wasn't the issue.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Now last time I tried that, all hell broke loose- I lost every map I had and I couldn't get them to reimport, so I had to go back to an earlier edition of the game... How do I fix that issue? If I "purge all", how do I _not_ lose my maps? Or can I somehow exempt that media from a purge?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Only use "Purge All" if you truly want to purge everything, including your maps. Instead, manually purge items that you know you no longer need, using a combination of the navigation buttons and the "Purge" button.

Purging doesn't delete anything from your hard drive, just from within the User Cast, so as long as you still have a media asset (you haven't deleted it from your hard drive), you can always re-import it if it turns out you need it again.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:54 pm

I decided just to delete a random handful of stuff, let's see if that works...

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Seems to have done the trick! Thanks! Say, in the future, would there be a way to make the thing automatically detect items that haven't been used in a long time and just periodically purge them? That would be helpful!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:58 pm

TRIAD4Evr wrote:Say, in the future, would there be a way to make the thing automatically detect items that haven't been used in a long time and just periodically purge them? That would be helpful!
Not really. Everyone will have a different idea of what "old" means. Some people play several times a month, others only a few times a year.

What I can probably add is a warning of some sort when the media library is approaching full, to prompt the user to purge some old/un-needed media.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Yeah, that would work! This is probably the second time I've run into this problem, so knowing when there needs to be a purge would be golden!