Encounter Data Not Valid, Aborting

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Piraticus
Sergeant

Encounter Data Not Valid, Aborting

Post by Piraticus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm

In my current 'Rise of the Changer' campaign I have created a complete interactive character sheets with even removable inventory items by creating stylistic text graphics on strips of parchment and importing them as objects.

I was using the 'Add Notes' feature to provide extra important information about certain key inventory items which ended up being very numerous once I completed everything for all three of my party members. However, after saving the encounter and trying to reload it, I keep getting the following error 'Encounter Data Not Valid, Aborting.'

It is my theory that this is caused by too many notes being added to too many different objects. It was my attempt to see if this could somehow be fixed, as not having the ability to put as many notes on as many items as I need to really hinders immersion and circumvents my overall goal, which was to keep my players from needing to reference anything outside of BRPG. If this feature can work fully, they can stay completely inside BRPG as we play and would have no need to reference any notes or personal character sheets.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

(The third screenshot below displays the tool-tip effect I am going for over the inventory items on their BRPG character sheet)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I suspect you may have used double quotes in the Notes for one of your units. This is only possible if you are using a version of BRPG prior to v1.7d, since v1.7d disallows double quotes in Notes, to avoid exactly this sort of thing (it confuses the Encounter/Deployment data parser).

You can either search for the offending double quotes in a text editor (Notepad or the like will suffice) and replace them with single quotes, or, if you prefer, email me the broken Encounter and I'll fix it for you and send it back.

Your screenshots are amazing. Very, very cool, what you've done.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Piraticus
Sergeant

Post by Piraticus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Awesome, so this can be resolved?! Thank goodness. So, in double quotes, does this mean that I should use apostrophes instead of quotation marks? That's not a problem at all. I just wanted to clarify that that is actually the problem.

And yes, I love BRPG. I am able to unleash all of my creativity and fully facilitate my vision with a program that allows online tabletop with friends that live very far away.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Yes, if that's the problem, it's easily solved by using apostrophes instead of double quotes. Make sure to keep a backup of your Encounters before you edit them, just as a fallback in case there's a goof in the editing.

If you do a search for the word "void" after opening your Encounter in a text editor and you get a hit, then it is an entirely different problem. In this case, email me the file.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.