Object offset adjustment issue

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
BradN
Cannon Fodder

Object offset adjustment issue

Post by BradN » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 am

Operating System: Window 7
BGRPG: V1.7

I checked the release notes for version 1.8 and don't see this listed as a bug fix.

After creating an object (in my case a door) and placing it, I then created another of the same object. When I adjust the horizontal or vertical offsets, it not only moves the object I'm trying to place, but it also moves the previously placed object.

This has happened with doors and later again with several portcullis.

Will the 1.8 update correct this? If not, is there an easy workaround? My workaround right now is to copy and rename the door PNG files (Door 01, Door02, etc.) and place them each as a unique object instead of instances of the same object graphic.

I realize my first two posts have both been on bugs... In contrast, I must say that I have plenty of great things to say about your software. I'll be using it for the first time in game play tomorrow. My gaming table will be a 40" horizontal flatscreen tv. We'll be setting figures on top of token images during gameplay. We are excited to see how well this works.

Thanks!

Brad N.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:44 am

Your workaround is the correct approach for units that must have different offsets. Every other unit characteristic can be set independently, but offsets are shared across units that use the same artwork. it's not really a bug per se, it's just the way it works.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 am

Note also that there are several versions between the original 1.7 and 1.8
If you're using vanilla 1.7, then you should definitely consider upgrading to something like 1.7d or 1.7e
It won't affect your offset issue, but will likely provide many other improvements.

Here is the full list of changes since 1.7:
BRPGv1.8 ReadMe wrote:Version History:
v1.8
Added a Gallery Browser for browsing both local media and artpack media more quickly and efficiently. This larger window displays up to 11 assets at a time, and is currently available when placing figures or objects. Text labels under each thumbnail display the asset's name. In future releases, the Gallery Browser will also be available when adding tokens to a unit, when browsing or attaching audio clips, and when browsing Visual Aids or the Library assets. Due to speed and RAM usage concerns, there are no plans to ever support using a Gallery Browser to peruse items in the "Maps" folder.
Added a magnified view to the Gallery Browser. A magnifying glass icon will appear over any thumbnail that has been reduced in size to less than 80% of its native size. Hovering over this icon, or clicking on it, will show the asset at it's native size, or as large as possible within the constraints of the Gallery Browser window. If even the magnified view had to be scaled down to fit the window, a text label will indicate the scale factor that the image is being displayed at. The magnified image is shown by default over a black partially-transparent background. While this is adequate for most images, it may not be ideal for very dark images; in this case, the user can hold down the Shift key to change the background color to white until the key is released.
The browser panels and the Gallery Browser can now be navigated using the Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys.
Change: In the Gallery Browser, Flash assets can now be properly previewed prior to importing them. In prior releases, Flash media would always display a blank thumbnail unless the asset had been previously imported into BRPG.
Added an option to disable the door opening and door closing sounds that the Chat window makes when players join or leave a game session (some users found these sound effects too jarring or disruptive).
Added an option to toggle whether or not the GM can see hidden figures that are controlled by other players.
Moved several commands in the BG button's popup menu into a new "Session-Specific Settings" submenu, to better organize these toggle settings and to reduce the length of the BG button's popup menu.
Added a "Create Multi-Token Figure" command, which is available to the GM only while offline (i.e., when a game session is not currently being hosted). This command works either with local directories or with artpack categories.
Added the ability to delete specific dice macros that are attached to figures or objects (useful if the dice macro is no longer needed, or was saved/attached to a unit by mistake).

v1.7e
Added a ping-based system for detecting if one or more players have been disconnected from the host. If so, the host is warned and the "ghost player" is removed/purged from the session, so that the real player can successfully rejoin the game session without being automatically booted. If a player who was using a Floating License gets disconnected (pings out), the Floating License is reclaimed so that it is available for use again.
Added a "Swap Locations" feature, which is available from the "Arrange" submenu of a multi-unit selection's contextual popup menu (but only if exactly two units are selected, and only if the units are not already stacked). Activating this command will put unit A in unit B's current location, and vice versa.
Added commands for changing an Object into a Figure, or a Figure into an Object. The "Transform into Object" command is available from a Figure's contextual popup menu, and the "Transform into Figure" command is available from an Object's contextual popup menu. This feature should be useful for users who are creating a game conversion (or GMs prepping a game session) and realize too late that they are using the wrong type of unit for something. Now, rather than deleting everything and starting over, they can use these new commands and save a lot of time and effort. The commands are only available when a game session is not currently being hosted.
Change: The "Create Card Deck" command (available from the map window's popup menu) is now available in the unlicensed BRPG Demo. There was no good reason why a prospective user should not be able to play around with that feature.
Change: A dice macro attached to a unit had to be called exactly "Initiative" in order to be triggered by autoroll initiative feature. Now, it only needs to contain the word "Initiative".
Change: Mousewheel rotation of units is now off by default, but can be enabled each session if needed. It used to be the other way around.
Bug fix: Fixed a bug in the Turn Sequencer that could occur when turn phases were being used and no units were included in the second phase of the Turn Sequence.
Bug fix: When loading a saved game, the board color that was selected in a prior session was not being properly restored (it was reverting to black, instead).

v1.7d
Added the ability to "jump" from one part of the map window to another while you are dragging one or more units. Simply select the unit/s that you wish to move, begin dragging them, and press a View hotkey (number 0 through 9). The dragged unit/s will effectively be "teleported" to the selected View, where you may then release them once you have adjusted their end position. This feature should prove invaluable in any situation where dragging units would be cumbersome if you have to cover a long distance (drag-to-scroll).
Added a "Shuffle Locations" command to the "Arrange" submenu of a multi-unit selection's contextual popup menu. Selecting this command will shuffle the on-screen locations of all the currently-selected units. This feature should come in handy for games that use a randomly-generated game board composed of component tiles or cards (e.g., flash cards in a memory game).
Added the ability to cycle through the cards in your hand while using the Card Table, with the [\] (backslash) hotkey.
If rotating a unit/s with the mouse locks up your computer, you can now press the Shift key briefly to exit an endless loop cause by a race condition.
Bug fix: Double quotes ( " ) can no longer be typed into a unit's Notes. Doing so would make Encounters and/or Deployment files unreadable to BRPG.
Bug fix: When a media asset with a file name over 27 characters (not counting the file type extension) was imported into BRPG, the asset would not be found when needed.
Bug fix: Fixed a cosmetic glitch (introduced in v1.7c) with some text in the upper left of the screen.
Bug fix: The chat input field on the Chat window was sometimes receiving Paste events even when BRPG was not the active application and the Chat window was not the active window.
Bug fix: When mousing over units without any unit/s selected, unit portraits were sometimes not being displayed in the upper right corner of the map window if the mouse cursor was moved from one unit to another without ever passing over the map or an object set to "Tile" first.
Bug fix: Fixed a potential licensing issue that only affected Windows OS.

v1.7c
Added a "Check Line of Sight" command, which is similar to the "Measure Range" command except that no text is shown and the snap-to-grid feature allows you to snap to corners of grid squares or to the middle of a side of a grid square, in addition to the usual center of a grid square.
Added a "Measure Move" command, which is similar to the "Measure Range" command except that a thicker and semi-transparent black line marks the unit's starting location while the user moves the unit around on the map. This should be particularly useful for playing tabletop miniature games such as Warhammer, where units are allowed to move x inches/centimeters.
Added an option to disable rotation of units with the mouse's scroll wheel.
Change: The "Measure Move", "Check Line of Sight", and "Measure Range" commands are no longer available to free-floating objects.
Bug fix: An error was occurring when an unlicensed Demo logged into a GM Client's session, and Floating Licenses were not being assigned to the Demo user.
Bug fix: Redundant media was linked to the Dice Roller, causing it to take longer than it should to initialize.
Bug fix: The "Measure Range" feature was not working properly if the map was panned during the operation.

v1.7b
Added a "Clear All Views" button to the View Manager panel. Clicking on it restores all Views to the default settings.
Added the ability to have GM-only Views. Any View which whose name is enclosed in square brackets (e.g., [Secret Door]) will be inaccessible to players. The number hotkey for that View will not function for the players, and the text on the View button in the View Palette will simply say "GM Only" on the players' screens.
The Shift-RETURN hotkey can now be used by the GM at any time (even if the "Step the Sequence" button is not currently displayed). This will make it easier/faster to play certain solo games which don't have units listed in the Turn Sequencer.
BGE users who attempt to log into a BRPG-hosted game session will now be automatically booted.
Bug fix: The chat input pane and the chat output pane in the Chat window were being cut off on the right side if the Chat window was sized too wide.
Bug fix: View buttons that were designated as invisible were still receiving mouse clicks.
Bug fix: Players were able to set Views. This was never intended in prior releases.

v1.7a
Added a means of disabling the "Roll Dice Macro..." button on the map window.
Added a "Purge Player's Map" command which allows the GM to remotely purge a player's map graphic. This command can be issued to all the connected players at once, or to an individual player. The purpose of this command is to trigger a fresh peer-to-peer map transfer if a previous peer-to-peer map transfer resulted in an unusable map.
Added a "Select None" command, accessed via the hotkey [Shift-Control-A] on Windows and [Shift-Command-A] on Mac. Selecting this command will deselect any currently selected units.
An alert is now displayed if the "Import Encounter Assets" command for some reason (e.g., low RAM) fails to import all the media needed from a media asset bundle.
Change: Following a "Save As..." operation, if the original Encounter was linked to a media asset bundle, the link will be severed in the newly-created Encounter, and the user will be warned of this.
Peer-to-peer map transfers are now faster than before.
Bug fix: Attempting to send a Visual Aid to a particular user was not working properly; everyone would receive it.
Bug fix: The link to the media asset bundle was not getting saved in Encounters after exporting a media asset bundle.
Bug fix: Mousing over a figure with a portrait was briefly clearing the FoW mask.
Bug fix: The "Select All" command was not highlighting selected figures with white halos.
Bug fix: Fixed an issue that was causing black map rows to appear on some player clients' screens.
Bug fix: The Help screen was appearing uncentered in the map window the first time the program was launched on a given hard drive (or with a given executable name).
Bug fix: Media asset bundles were not auto-loading on connected player clients when an Encounter that used a media bundle was loaded.

BradN
Cannon Fodder

Post by BradN » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 am

I was able to figure out how to better place my doors that cut down on the number of unique doors I had to place in my objects folders, so it's not as tedious an issue, now.

I was mistaken saying that I was using 1.7 as it looks like I have 1.7d. However, I think I will update to 1.7e. I must say, that is an impressive amount of work. I hope you manage to keep it up without burning yourself out. :)

Brad N.

markuwp
General

Re: Object offset adjustment issue

Post by markuwp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

I had a similar problem when using the sewer map tile artpack for the first time. I got all the identical horizontal ones set, but then when I added a vertical version with different offsets everything jumped to a different location and then began getting strange results from there.
BradN wrote:Operating System: Window 7
BGRPG: V1.7

I checked the release notes for version 1.8 and don't see this listed as a bug fix.

After creating an object (in my case a door) and placing it, I then created another of the same object. When I adjust the horizontal or vertical offsets, it not only moves the object I'm trying to place, but it also moves the previously placed object.

This has happened with doors and later again with several portcullis.

Will the 1.8 update correct this? If not, is there an easy workaround? My workaround right now is to copy and rename the door PNG files (Door 01, Door02, etc.) and place them each as a unique object instead of instances of the same object graphic.

I realize my first two posts have both been on bugs... In contrast, I must say that I have plenty of great things to say about your software. I'll be using it for the first time in game play tomorrow. My gaming table will be a 40" horizontal flatscreen tv. We'll be setting figures on top of token images during gameplay. We are excited to see how well this works.

Thanks!

Brad N.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Why are you setting offsets at all for something like the sewer pack pieces? Isn't it WAY faster to place them with snap-to-grid disabled?

Offsets are great for something like a door that needs to rotate on it's hinge. Not really something you want to have to bother setting unless you really need to.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.