Export not always right

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
heyhogan
Sergeant

Export not always right

Post by heyhogan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:41 pm

I wanted to replace a token with a new one that I had fixed - it had the same name and was in the Mini folder. I figured I needed to purge all the media, so I did, figuring I could import the game media file again (Which I had just exported. When I tried to load the media file, it gave me the error "The chosen bundle file is not valid. Please try again with a valid media bundle. Yikes! When I did the export, it had not given any errors so I assumed that it was "good". After reconstructing the game, I tried the export 3 times in a row. After each try, I renamed the export file. Each time yielded a different file size. Yikes! I will need to test EACH export to make sure they work! This is not good.

Exports and game files need to be trustworhy, otherwise one can loose a lot of work. I'm scared to purge now as this might srew up a lot of stuff.

Also, it was my expectation that if I imported a media bundle, then deployments would work. I found that i needed to insert the tokens once and then the deployments worked.
Attachments
Import error.png
Import error.png (22.58 KiB) Viewed 5047 times

heyhogan
Sergeant

Follow-on question about media bundles

Post by heyhogan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Is there a way to "view" a CXT file (media bundle) outside of BGE with a tool like notepad or Winzip to make sure it looks OK? Any way to test a file other than trying to import on another machine?

heyhogan
Sergeant

more bad news

Post by heyhogan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:05 pm

So, in an effort to get more info, I saved the game as Scot9. I then exported the game. Saved the media bundle to my test machine and imported on test machine. Then setup a session to see if I could play the game. The test machine is getting an error "Object Expected" as cannot display the map.

When I use the "purge Media" window to see what media the test pc has, I noticed that all the images BUT the map show up. Shouldn't the board be a part of the media bundle?

heruca
Developer

Re: Export not always right

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 pm

heyhogan wrote:I wanted to replace a token with a new one that I had fixed - it had the same name and was in the Mini folder. I figured I needed to purge all the media, so I did, figuring I could import the game media file again (Which I had just exported.
If you only wanted to replace one token, you should have used the Purge Media panel to delete just that one asset. "Purge All" was not what you wanted in this case.
heyhogan wrote:When I tried to load the media file, it gave me the error "The chosen bundle file is not valid. Please try again with a valid media bundle. Yikes! When I did the export, it had not given any errors so I assumed that it was "good". After reconstructing the game, I tried the export 3 times in a row. After each try, I renamed the export file. Each time yielded a different file size. Yikes! I will need to test EACH export to make sure they work! This is not good.

Exports and game files need to be trustworhy, otherwise one can loose a lot of work. I'm scared to purge now as this might srew up a lot of stuff.

AFAIK, exporting of media bundles IS trustworthy, and I have error-checking in place to warn the user if something went wrong during the export.

I have no idea why your 3 exports yielded three different file sizes. Could you send me the three files for analysis?
heyhogan wrote:Also, it was my expectation that if I imported a media bundle, then deployments would work. I found that i needed to insert the tokens once and then the deployments worked.
Deployment files contain only information about the selected unit/s (i.e., the attributes that define them, such as where they are, how the are rotated, who owns them, etc), not the media (tokens, portraits) that is associated with the unit.

It may be useful to start a blank Encounter/Game File, load in the units from the Deployment/s, then export a media bundle, which will need to be manually imported by other players prior to logging into the game session.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Follow-on question about media bundles

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm

heyhogan wrote:Is there a way to "view" a CXT file (media bundle) outside of BGE with a tool like notepad or Winzip to make sure it looks OK? Any way to test a file other than trying to import on another machine?
Unfortunately, there is no way other than trying to import on another installation of the program, but if you want to send me the file/s in question, I'll see if I can access the content via Adobe Director.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: more bad news

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 pm

heyhogan wrote:The test machine is getting an error "Object Expected" as cannot display the map.

When I use the "purge Media" window to see what media the test pc has, I noticed that all the images BUT the map show up. Shouldn't the board be a part of the media bundle?
Yes, the map or gameboard should be included, except in three cases that I can think of.

1) If the map was a server-based map, loaded via a URL.
2) If the map was from an artpack.
3) If the map exceeded the software's inherent limitations (i.e., if it was over 4000 x 4000 pixels).

heyhogan
Sergeant

Link to files

Post by heyhogan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Here is a link to the Game media bundle files. I did an export, renamed the file, and did another export, renamed that file, and then did an export again. One big one , two smaller ones.

https://www.box.com/s/5g6jzkdcycl2w01qujvz

heruca
Developer

Re: Link to files

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 pm

heyhogan wrote:I did an export, renamed the file, and did another export, renamed that file, and then did an export again. One big one , two smaller ones.
Are you sure that is ALL you did? Because the content varies on all three, as if you had purged and re-imported some media assets.