Some Issues

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Eru
Soldier

Some Issues

Post by Eru » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm not sure if this was the correct category to post in..

but here goes...

Last night's session; We had some repeated crashes where my game closed when It tried to move some tokens. This seems to happen at least a couple of times during online play.

Also, One of the players is having frequent issues with his maps loading.

On one, the map loaded with lines of it being visible.

On another, the figures and objects loaded, but the map was blank.

We shut everything down and tried it again, and then it showed the objects and figures from the same encounter, but the map background from another encounter.

Just to confirm, they are placing the media asset bundles in the media asset bundle folder? I saw a tutorial online (not on your site) that showed someone putting encounters in the artpack folder. Would that help? Also, I tried sending the map to him by itself to put in his maps folder. This was just a guess for a possible fix, but it did not work. If they have downloaded the .cxt asset bundle previously and placed it in the media asset folder, should they still have to wait several minutes for the encounter to load. This is perplexing me, because 2 out of 3 players are having this issue. One is not having any problems at all. We spent a couple of hours doublechecking that he was following the same steps that the player followed who is not having issues.

The only issue I seem to be having is rampant crashing during online play. Its not ideal, but I just make it a point to save frequently and bring it back up as I can.

Can this be caused by file sizes? Is 35,000kb average taxing for an encounter or is this normal? The map backgrounds that I am using don't seem to be that detailed compared to others I've seen in screenshots.
Attachments
different background.png
different background.png (123.99 KiB) Viewed 3369 times
what I see.png
what I see.png (723.45 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
no background.png
no background.png (259.29 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

heruca
Developer

Re: Some Issues

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:19 am

Sorry for taking a while to respond. I was waiting until I had a good chunk of free time to respond to all of the issues you mentioned (quite a few!), but it's becoming clear that that may not happen for a while, so I'll just respond to a few items at a time over the next day or two.

Whenever you report a bug, please state what version of the program you are using, and what operating system you are running.

Eru wrote:We had some repeated crashes where my game closed when It tried to move some tokens. This seems to happen at least a couple of times during online play.
Are you by any chance rotating your units with the scrollwheel on your mouse? Simply moving tokens via drag and drop, or via movement hotkeys, should not cause the program to crash. Some users have experienced crashing when they use the mousewheel to rotate units, so I added the option of disabling that functionality. Other users have never had the mousewheel cause a crash. I don't know why some users are affected and others aren't. Perhaps it's a mouse driver issue, but I really couldn't say.
Eru wrote:One of the players is having frequent issues with his maps loading.

On one, the map loaded with lines of it being visible.
Did you try using the "Send Missing Map Pieces" command (see pg. 138 of the BRPG User Manual)? If so, did that not work, either? What about the "Force Full Update" command?
Eru wrote:On another, the figures and objects loaded, but the map was blank.

We shut everything down and tried it again, and then it showed the objects and figures from the same encounter, but the map background from another encounter.
Reading the rest of your post, it sounds like you were attempting to use media asset bundles (great, that is recommended) but for some reason it/they did not automatically load on demand. Please be aware that players can manually import media asset bundles prior to joining your game session (see "Import Encounter Assets" on pg. 136 of the User Manual).
Eru wrote:Just to confirm, they are placing the media asset bundles in the media asset bundle folder? I saw a tutorial online (not on your site) that showed someone putting encounters in the artpack folder. Would that help?
Yes, media asset bundles should go in the "Media Asset Bundles" folder.

The tutorial you saw is incorrect. Only Encounter files go in the "Encounters" folder, and only artpacks go in the "Artpacks" folder. Can you send me a link to that tutorial?
Eru wrote:Also, I tried sending the map to him by itself to put in his maps folder. This was just a guess for a possible fix, but it did not work.
You were on the right track to an alternative fix to your problem, but that was only half of the solution. Just putting the file in the "Maps" folder doesn't get it into BRPG. The player would need to import the map prior to rejoining your game session, using the "Change Map" command.

I'll try to address the rest of your post tomorrow. In the meantime, please email me your Encounter file (the one that had map issues for the players) and the accompanying media asset bundle. I will take a look and let you know if I can figure out what went wrong.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Eru
Soldier

Post by Eru » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 am

version 1.7d

Thank you. After reading through your response, I believe that the scroll wheel on my mouse could be the culprit. I am very heavy on the scroll wheel when its available for any function. Almost every crash followed my use of it whether it was zooming or rotating figures.

If you respond before I get a chance to look through the manual (which won't be for a day or so, I'm heading to work right after this reply) can you tell me that method for disabling it.

Also, the link to that tutorial http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/t ... tlegrounds

I assumed it was outdated, or mis-communicating their instruction as it was short and vague about what they were doing.

I'd like to give that particular encounter another shot before emailing it as I'm changing a lot about it now. I just realized what the manual aspect of fog of war is capable of (how I missed it before, I don't know). I've only been using the dynamic fog of war with masking objects doing the job I could've done with manual.

Let me try the new encounter with that player and disable the mouse wheel and see if we get a much better experience. If its problematic, I'll email you the encounter and map.

Also, if the scroll wheel can cause those issues on my end, can it be the culprit for problems on the players end because I am hosting the game?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 am

Eru wrote:If you respond before I get a chance to look through the manual (which won't be for a day or so, I'm heading to work right after this reply) can you tell me that method for disabling it.
In BRPG v1.7d, access the popup menu on the BG button and make sure that "Mousewheel can rotate units" does not have a checkmark beside it. Note that in later releases, this command has been moved into a submenu called "Session-specific Settings", to reduce menu clutter.

BRPG v1.8a had a bug fix related to the crashing caused by the mousewheel. And as of BRPG v1.7e, mousewheel rotation of units is off by default. Persnally, I'd upgrade everyone to the latest release, BRPG v1.8b, at your earliest convenience (perhaps after concluding the current Encounter/s that you've prepped).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:40 am

Eru wrote:the link to that tutorial http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/t ... tlegrounds

I assumed it was outdated, or mis-communicating their instruction as it was short and vague about what they were doing.
I created all the tutorial videos linked on that page. And although they are a bit dated, none of them show Encounter files being added to the artpacks folder, or anything of the like. You may have mistaken the ".cxt" file in this video for an external media bundle, but it is in fact an artpack.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 am

Eru wrote:if the scroll wheel can cause those issues on my end, can it be the culprit for problems on the players end because I am hosting the game?
Unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I suspect that what happened to you might best be explained by this forum thread, or, more likely, this one.