Batch Import Query

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Mr Crumbly
Sergeant

Batch Import Query

Post by Mr Crumbly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:34 pm

HI,

I was looking to import all the minis I might possibly need for a game in one go, so I figured that Batch Import was the way to go. When I selected Batch Import from the menu and chose minis as the type of object, the dialogue box that popped up was blank - no category or selection box or even select or cancel buttons. Nothing. The only way to clear it was to exit the program. I've tried several times and the problem persists. I've been careful not to exceed 255 items per folder, although I've assumed that it is per folder within the minis folder and not the total number of items in the minis folder including all sub-folders.

I'm running version 1.5, but had the same problem when I tried it on version 1.3.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Alan

heruca
Developer

Re: Batch Import Query

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 am

Mr Crumbly wrote:I was looking to import all the minis I might possibly need for a game in one go, so I figured that Batch Import was the way to go.
That may not necessarily be the best approach. I suppose it depends on exactly what sort of boardgame you are trying to set up. More info regarding the game you are creating would be useful.
Mr Crumbly wrote:When I selected Batch Import from the menu and chose minis as the type of object, the dialogue box that popped up was blank - no category or selection box or even select or cancel buttons. Nothing. The only way to clear it was to exit the program. I've tried several times and the problem persists.
Can you post a list of the names of all the graphics in the folder that is experiencing this issue? Or email it to me. A screenshot/s might be the easiest way. I'd also like to know how many graphics are in the folder, exactly.

Mr Crumbly wrote:I've been careful not to exceed 255 items per folder, although I've assumed that it is per folder within the minis folder and not the total number of items in the minis folder including all sub-folders.
Yes, 255 graphics per folder is the limit, and you can't have subfolder nested within subfolders (i.e., don't put the graphics more than one level deeper than the "Minis" folder). Note, however, that Minis take up 5 times more resources (sprites) than Components, so it's quite possible that you are trying to import so many Minis that you are running out of sprites.

You might try putting just 20 graphics at a time in the folder, then do a Batch Import. If it succeeds, add another 20 and Batch Import again. Continue until you have a problem, and you will have isolated the problematic filename in the latest batch of 20. Likely culprits are graphics whose filename consists of just a number, or that have really long filenames.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Mr Crumbly
Sergeant

Post by Mr Crumbly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Heruca,

I was probably being a bit too ambitious :). I'm creating a 'vanilla' game file for one of the Two Hour Wargames series called 5150: New Beginnings. The idea of the game is that you have a 2ft x 2ft or 3ft x 3ft board and you start off by placing terrain according to dice rolls on a table. You then place possible enemies or other encounters randomly and then move your group onto the board to play out the various encounters.

As the enemies or other people you meet can vary as the game progresses I had the idea that I would import all the top-down minis I have, then sideboard them all. When I rolled for a particular encounter I would then use the Unit Manager to select the particular minis I wanted to bring onto the board for the job. I was also going to do similarly for the various types of terrain and buildings.

I can't tell you whether a particular folder is causing a problem as I don't get that far. I select Batch Import from the Battlegrounds button and click on Minis on the sub-menu. I then get a blank dialogue box. I've attached a screenshot.

Within the Minis folder I have 19 sub-folders containing a varying number of images, from 8 to 251. I removed all sub-folders apart from one containing 20 images but still got the same blank dialogue box. I've also tried removing all the sub-folders and leaving just one image in the Minis folder - still the same result. I've even tried using a clean installation of BGE 1.5 and put only 20 images in the Minis folder - still the same blank dialogue box. It looks like there is some text in the box for a split second before it goes blank, but it is so quick I can't be sure.

I can send you a list of all the files and folders but, having removed them all, it doesn't seem likely that they are causing the issue as I'm not getting as far as selecting a folder to import.

Regards,

Alan
Attachments
Blank Dialog Box.jpg
Screenshot of Dialogue Box problem
Blank Dialog Box.jpg (172.51 KiB) Viewed 6134 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am

You've discovered a bug in BGE. "Batch import > Minis" does not work. The other 5 options do (Components, Visual Aids, etc.). Thanks for reporting the issue, I'll fix it for v1.6.

In the meantime, as a workaround, just put the Minis that you want to Batch Import in the Components folder, and use "Batch Import > Components" instead.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:18 am

The bug is now fixed for v1.6.

Another workaround, and even better assuming you actually want to have Minis placed on the gameboard, is to double-click on the game table and select "Create Multi-Token Mini". Choose a directory from your Minis folder and a single multi-token mini will be placed on the gameboard. Right-click on the mini that was created and choose "Split into multiple units". Boom! You're done, and a batch import of all the needed graphics will have happened automatically.

Mr Crumbly
Sergeant

Post by Mr Crumbly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Thank you very much, Heruca, for your quick response and suggestions. I will follow the multi-token route as suggested and download version 1.6 when available.

Regards,

Alan