Dice Macro Bug?

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Mr Crumbly
Sergeant

Dice Macro Bug?

Post by Mr Crumbly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 am

Hi,

If I access the "Dice Macros" submenu from the BG button or the "Roll Dice Macro" button but do not make a selection and click on the screen outside of the menu, I get a Director Player Error message which reads: "Object expected. Script error. Continue?"

It doesn't seem to cause any problem to the program overall if I just click "OK" and carry on, but I thought I'd let you know in case you spot the cause in investigating any other problems.

I'm running BGE 1.5 beta on Windows 7 OS.

Regards,

Alan

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks for the bug report.

I just tested this on a Mac and it isn't happening, so it might be a Windows-specific bug. Will follow up on this post once I've had a chance to test it on my Win 7 PC.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:08 am

It's not happening for me on Windows, either. I am guessing it may have something to do with what is contained in your "Dice Macros" folder. Could you post a screenshot of that folder's contents, or email it to me?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Mr Crumbly
Sergeant

Re: Dice Macro Bug?

Post by Mr Crumbly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Heruca,

I've attached a screenshot of my dice macros folder as requested.

Regards,

Alan
Attachments
Dice Macros Folder Image.PNG
Dice Macros Folder Image.PNG (245.18 KiB) Viewed 6510 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks.

Try disabling (removing) the two dice macros with a plus sign in their name, and see if the issue persists. If it is fixed, try renaming the dice macros to not use a plus sign.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Out of curiosity, what is up with that odd folder structure, such as the "5150" directory?

Mr Crumbly
Sergeant

Post by Mr Crumbly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:38 pm

I tried both your ideas, no luck. Whilst trying them, I found out that the problem doesn't occur until I load in a game file. If I try it as soon as I load the program no error message appears. Also it's not specifically connected with the dice macro sub-menu - just opening the menu of the Battlegrounds button and then clicking outside the menu on the screen causes the same error.

I tried it with a game file I saved and also with the numbered squares game file - same error message.

Unfortunately the generation of the message seems erratic - sometimes it will occur on either the Battlegrounds button menu or the Roll Dice Macro button menu, other times it won't appear at all. It may also be connected with the display of the view palette or occurs depending on where on the screen you click, but again it doesn't happen all the time so I can't be sure.

To answer your other question, I have a folder on one of my drives called Battlegrounds data, within which I have folders for each game I am creating. Each sub-folder contains a complete BGE setup as per your suggestion in one of your video tutorials. So in the 5150 folder (so-called because the game is called 5150: New Beginnings) I have an unzipped BGE instance where all the minis, components, game files etc. relate to 5150.

Hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused, and sorry for leading you down the wrong path re the dice macros menu (although the Roll Dice Macro does also cause the problem).

Regards,

Alan

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:50 pm

OK, I was able to duplicate the bug, at least on the first click after loading a game file (after that it never seems to trigger again; dismissing the error seems to have no undesired effects or instability). The error seems to occur only if you click on the black area where there is no gameboard/map.

I will try to fix this for v1.6.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Loading a game file isn't even necessary to recreate the bug. It's just that when you do, it generally moves the gameboard such that you are more likely to click on the black background when exiting out of a popup menu.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:23 pm

OK, the bug is fixed for the next release.