Can not save/load encounters

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
markuwp
General

Can not save/load encounters

Post by markuwp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:39 am

I can't load any of the encounter files I've saved over the past couple of weeks. The save seems to work fine, but then the encounters I'm using and all of the autosaves won't load. It says "Encounter data is not valid. Aborting." The encounters from more than 2 weeks ago seem to load fine, even one using the same map and figures, but everything (including autosaves) from the past couple of weeks will not load. I am using BRPG 1.8b on a PC.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:54 am

I suggest temporarily removing your User_Cast file (and replacing it with a renamed copy of Blank Cast.cxt) to see if it's a problem with an imported graphic.

If the encounter loads successfully (without the graphics, of course) you can then try reimporting your graphics to see if you can duplicate the bug.

Or you could send heruca the encounter files for him to check.
Last edited by Omnidon on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markuwp
General

Thanks for the suggestion

Post by markuwp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 am

I tried removing all of the figures and that fixed the problem, so have been trying to narrow it down. It is a problem with one of the PCs. They are the same figures we always use, but a something must have become corrupt because I also can't load deployments with the latest version of the party. One character has two different tokens with the same name (different sizes); I wonder if that could be it? I'm having trouble testing because I deleted them all and can't reload the deployment.

I've uploaded the two most recent encounter files. Another possible cause is that I've been going back and forth between 5 and 10 foot squares on the map. The map is too big to fit, so we have a 10' square "exploration mode" but then switch to a blown up piece of the map with 5' squares for battle.
Omnidon wrote:I suggest temporarily removing your User_Cast file (and replacing it with a renamed copy of Blank Cast.cxt) to see if it's a problem with an imported graphic.

If the encounter loads successfully (without the graphics, of course) you can then try reimporting your graphics to see if you can duplicate the bug.

Or you could send heruca the encounter files for him to check.
Attachments
101 - Dwarven fortress01a.bge
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
100 - Dwarven battlemap02b.bge
(16.78 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:37 pm

So this bug doesn't occur with brand new saved encounters that don't have your player characters on them?

If those encounters don't have the bugged characters on them anymore, then post your deployment file(s) as well.

Which character has the double token?

You should probably still try what I suggested above (temporarily replacing your User Cast with a blank copy) in case one of the graphics used by the player characters is causing the problem. If the problem still persists after doing so, then that narrows it down to some corruption in the character's saved variables.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:56 pm

In the Dwarven Fortress encounter, it seems that the character named "Enlarged Jonah" had some corruption occur in the section where it stores the token's base size.

If you open the Encounter in a text editor, you will see this text...

Code: Select all

["S1", <Void>, "H1"]
That "<Void>" entry should not be there. Can you tell me what base size should be in between the one-square and the one hex base? I will fix your files and send them back to you.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Or, if you wish to edit the files yourself, change them so that they read like so...

["S1", "S1", "H1"]
(assuming you meant to have a 1-square base in the second token position)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

Thank you!

Post by markuwp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:37 pm

I made that change and everything works fine. I'll tell that player he gets no experience point for the past couple of sessions because he and his enlarge spell were the problem ;-). Thanks for the really quick response and solution.

We usually play on a hex grid but sometime use squares (especially indoors where they just map to the square corners of buildings and hallways better). Out of curiousity, what happens when you save a deployment on a hex map and then launch it on a square map or vice versa? I have done it and it usually works, but I also sometimes get script errors. Do I need to make any change to the deployment file before launching it on a different grid surface?
heruca wrote:Or, if you wish to edit the files yourself, change them so that they read like so...

["S1", "S1", "H1"]
(assuming you meant to have a 1-square base in the second token position)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:42 pm

If you load a hex-based Deployment onto a square grid, or vice-versa, the program dynamically remaps the figure bases to the closest possible match. Some manual tweaking may be desired in a few cases, but 80% of the time it should guess correctly.