Windows 8.1 - Can't get BGE to work

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Malty666
Cannon Fodder

Windows 8.1 - Can't get BGE to work

Post by Malty666 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:13 pm

I downloaded BGE (all 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5) and I can't get it to work on Win 8.1.

I extracted the files, and when I run the program all that displays is the side bar (dice roller, load map, etc). The main screen won't display and clicking any of the buttons on the bar (like dice roller has them pop up split between my two monitors, with the top displaying off the screen.

I can't drag the windows either.

I'm running an almost new system - so its clean with very little software on it apart from MS Office 2013. I got an i7 3.4Ghz with 8GB Ram and a 2GB Nvidia Graphics card.

Anyone have any ideas why it wont run?

I tried switching program's compatibility to previous win versions, but no luck.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Well haven't tried BGE recently but BRPG (which should behave similarly) runs fine for me on Windows 8.0

Have you tried disabling one of your monitors before launching? It sounds like BG is having trouble finding the edge of your monitors and the main window is likely opening off screen.

Does BG appear in your taskbar when open? If so, you can try right clicking on your taskbar, going to Taskbar properties, enable "Show taskbar on all displays", and set it to "Show taskbar buttons on Taskbar where window is open". Then you should be able to drag the BG window's taskbar button from one window to the other, which should automatically recenter it on the new monitor.

I think there also may be a hotkey in BG for recentering BG on your monitor though I don't recall what it is.

Malty666
Cannon Fodder

Post by Malty666 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 am

Almost worked - but installing Ultramon to manage my monitors did.

You set me on the right path - well done that man!

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:52 am

Glad I could help ;-) I used to use Ultramon but haven't needed it with Windows 8 since the core multi-monitor support has been good enough for me. Will probably put it back on my Win7 PC eventually though.