Choose Map Color

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
Dakka Dakka Dakka
Cannon Fodder

Choose Map Color

Post by Dakka Dakka Dakka » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm using version 1.8b GM Client on Windows 8.1.

When I click on Choose Map Color the color palette flashes on and off and doesn't allow me to choose a color. I've tried to click on it and also highlighted and typed enter but it always just flashes on for a micro second and then off. Once in a while it changes the board to White during the flash.

heruca
Developer

Re: Choose Map Color

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:39 pm

I believe you have to click and hold down the mouse button until you've selected a color. Make sure the cursor point is squarely on a color block, and not in the white frame that separates the colors.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

gunnarskeep
Cannon Fodder

Re: Choose Map Color

Post by gunnarskeep » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:35 pm

I have noticed this behavior as well. Clicking and holding the mouse does not seem to make the map color selection panel remain open. I have discovered, interestingly enough, that it has everything to do with cursor placement.

If you bring up the menu to change the map color such that the menu selection "Choose Map Color . . ." is positioned directly over the center of your screen, then the map color selection panel remains open with the cursor (now changed to an eyedropper icon) hovering over it. Bear in mind that moving the eyedropper off the color selection panel immediately closes it. I was able to achieve this by positioning my cursor about two-thirds of the way vertically up the screen and centered horizontally. Then, by double-clicking, I opened the menu to select, "Choose Map Color . . .". After selecting "Choose Map Color . . .", my cursor was perfectly centered over the middle of the screen, directly over the now-persistent map color selection panel. I could then choose my desired color.

Another approach that works is similar, and doesn't require you to position the menu, only the cursor. Open the menu to select "Choose Map Color . . ." anywhere on the screen. Prior to selecting "Choose Map Color . . .", though, move the cursor directly over the center of your screen. The menu should stay open. Now using the down arrow key, navigate down the menu until "Choose Map Color . . ." is highlighted. Press the "Enter" key. Provided your cursor is positioned over where your map color selection panel appears, it will persist, and your cursor changes to an eyedropper. Make your color selection.

An odd thing that I have noticed about choosing a custom map color is that it always reverts to black if I open the preferences panel and select "OK", even if I didn't make any changes to any preferences. Selecting "Cancel" has no affect on the map color. I suspect that the preferences panel probably resets the map when you select "OK" by clearing any custom color settings you had set.