Card Deck: Images do not update

Help improve BRPG and BGE by reporting any bugs you encounter.
hoihoi8
Soldier

Post by hoihoi8 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 am

1. Create a card deck in BGE.
2. Change one of the card images in the components folder.

Results:
The image does not update in BGE. Reloading the game file does not help.

1. Remove the deck, and re-add the deck.
2. Notice the NEW images are updated in the preview window.
3. Add the deck.

Results:
The old files are still present on the game board.

Expected Results:
1. When you load the game file, it should load the images from the Components folder. Images should never be cached between sessions.
2. When you create a new deck, it should always pull from the components folder, not cache.

heruca
Developer

Re: Card Deck: Images do not update

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:46 am

Please read the section titled "Purging Obsolete Media", on pg. 133-134 of the BGE User Manual.

"It may also be necessary to purge a media asset if you have made changes to the media, and want those changes brought into BGE. For example, if you’ve edited a game board or token in a graphics application, those changes won’t appear in BGE until you’ve purged the old media and re-imported the version with the changes."
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

hoihoi8
Soldier

Post by hoihoi8 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm now aware that I must go through that process to update images, but I guess the root of the problem is that the design for content updating in BGE is very very poor for creators. Each time I make major changes to content I've either got to completely recreate my board setup, or hunt and peck individual content.

That has doubled, if not quadrupled the time it takes for me to update content by using the caching system.

At the very least, I wish there was a "Purge All and Update Images" option.

I guess I'm just realizing this engine isn't exactly what I want for prototyping and making rapid changes to a board game with hundreds of cards and components. It's still the best thing out there I've found though.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:46 am

The next time you need to change artwork on a unit/s, try the new "Replace Token" and "Replace Portrait" commands in BGE v1.6.

You'll still need to do this for each game component individually (there's no batch processing involved), but I think you'll like the fact that the new artwork can have the same name as the prior artwork, and the prior artwork will be automatically purged from your media library (ie, the User Cast file).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.