Wishlist for new content

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE

Wishlist for new content

Postby heruca » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 am

What content would you all like to see produced to support your games?

It would really help me a lot, as well as third-party content producers, to know what users want or need, rather than trying to guess. What sort of content do you need the most, and would be most likely to purchase if it were available? Figures? Pre-made maps? Ready-to-run adventures? Collections of sound effects?

And for what genre?

Let us know what you want, and if there's a lot of interest in something in particular, it will have a better shot at being produced. Thanks.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Re: Wishlist for new content

Postby Omnidon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

heruca wrote:What sort of content do you need the most

Free stuff! It may sound strange to say so on a commercial website, but I love free! :-P
My games are so diverse and off-the-cuff that I need to be able to draw upon a vast reserve of media if I'm going to play at all, and even though content creators are already underpaid as-is, I simply can't afford to pay for all of the media I require.

heruca wrote:and would be most likely to purchase if it were available?

I'd be far more inclined to purchase software than media, since that's far more likely to get frequent use and need more developer maintenance.

However, I have occasionally considered commissioning the creation of custom character art for especially important characters.
I also wouldn't be above purchasing large collections of small graphical tiles (not room-sized dungeon pieces but individual textures used to create more detailed tile-based maps), since I love tiles and they are very reusable.

I would certainly consider custom extensions and addons for existing programs to be among my list of most desired and most likely to purchase types of content, except that support for such extensions and addons is virtually non-existent in the software used by the roleplaying communities. I am of course hoping that BRPG will manage to change that attitude by example.

heruca wrote:Figures?

I'm not terribly picky and can make use of a wide variety of graphical art, including but not limited to:
  1. Face Portraits
  2. Full-body portraits / Front view figures
  3. Sprites (especially animated sprites)
  4. Objects
  5. Special effect animations
  6. Mapping Tiles! As mentioned above, by tiles I mean small (commonly 32x32 pixel) textures used to quickly create maps. They form an important middle ground between a quick hand-drawn sketch and the small, meticulously crafted high resolution maps that the pros tend to turn out.

While I like the idea behind high resolution top-down figures, I find that they are innately too hard to make to allow the community to create enough of them for my needs.

One thing that really does tend to be lacking is the supply of unflattened, unresized graphics.

Although I am aware that the inevitable copyright concerns are largely responsible for the rarity of such graphics, I still have repeatedly seen graphics being flattened and shrunk unnecessarily based solely on the rather weak excuses that it saves file space or that it's just the way things have always been done. Media is far more valuable if it's provided in its original, editable, high-quality format since that allows it to be adjusted by the users to match graphics from other sources. It seems especially silly to actually pay money for a particular graphic and yet still not be provided with the original highest-quality version.

heruca wrote:Collections of sound effects?

Absolutely! One can never have too many sound effects! I never seem to be able to find the perfect sound effect when I go looking for something specific. ;-)

heruca wrote:Pre-made maps? Ready-to-run adventures?

I have absolutely no use for premade rulesets, premade adventures, or premade lore, as I pride myself on being able to create these things on the fly in response to the player characters and their roleplay decisions, rather than limiting the potential roleplay opportunities with my preconceptions.

Premade maps fall in a similar boat, especially since most map creators tend to make their maps rather small and flatten the layers before distribution.

heruca wrote:And for what genre?

I could potentially make use of almost any genre, but high medieval fantasy and futuristic sci-fi definitely hold undisputed dominion over my time and interest.

The things most lacking in terms of topics for artwork are good fantasy monsters and sci-fi space ships that are NOT specific to any particular universe.

I go to great lengths to AVOID using anything that is clearly derived solely from Tolkien, Forgotten Realms, Star Wars, Star Trek, and so forth.
While you may think that limits my options to almost nothing, keep in mind that the creators of all those universes borrowed heavily from both real-world mythology and actual (albeit often inaccurate) scientific predictions of real-world periods in time. Dragons, goblins, elves, trolls, minotaurs etc were all around long before Tolkien came along, and yet good monsters even of those common varieties are extremely hard to come by. As for sci-fi, it can get very tiresome if every single space ship looks like either the Enterprise or an X-Wing.

Oh and I guess if particularly overambitious wishful thinking is allowed, then I would LOVE to see more art relating to steampunk. It's basically non-existent, which is rather surprising giving how vividly rich a steampunk setting could be.
(Steampunk is based upon the Victorian-era imaginings that mankind's advanced technology would follow the path of steam power instead of electricity. This of course includes the presumption that steam power is efficient enough to provide many of our modern conveniences. The setting allows for a marvelous mix of wondrously exotic technologies based around wood and copper tubbing with the the ruggedly independent adventurous attitudes of people used to relying on their own hands to get the job done.)
Omnidon
Site Admin

Postby Farland » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I am always on the lookout for good top-down figures. I play D&D, so I need mostly non-humanoid based monsters from the MM.

I need maps without grid lines on them.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com
Farland
High Commander

Postby ursus » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 am

Something I'd like to see is top-down figures of original creatures and monsters with corresponding portrait art. I like to use original creature concepts in my GURPS fantasy campaign, and artwork can be all the inspiration I need to come up with the stats.

Sound effects are great, so long as they are of good quality.
ursus
General

Postby Lordippon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 pm

ursus wrote:Something I'd like to see is top-down figures of original creatures and monsters with corresponding portrait art. I like to use original creature concepts in my GURPS fantasy campaign, and artwork can be all the inspiration I need to come up with the stats.

Sound effects are great, so long as they are of good quality.

Are a kindred spirit :D
Lordippon
Captain

Agree with Farland

Postby markuwp » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Farland wrote:I am always on the lookout for good top-down figures. I play D&D, so I need mostly non-humanoid based monsters from the MM.

I also can never get enough top-down monster figures. I love DevilDan's work. I would be most likely to buy a large monster pack containing all (or most) of the non-copyright monster manual creatures.

I have a lot of characters and other humanoids, but still use more humanoids and demihumans (dwarves, gnomes, orcs, etc.) with varied weapons and armor.

-- Thread split after this point by Omni --
markuwp
General

Pathfinder Figures would be nice....

Postby Shayd3000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Would love to see figures for Pathfinder. While most done for D&D are fine, some of the monsters and core races (gnomes come to mind) look different in pathfinder than in D&D. I would love to see some pathfinder specific figures.

A specific immediate need is for a gnome female bard, with.....wait for it.....

magenta hair and scarlet skin. Yeah, you heard me right.

Like I said, Pathfinder gnomes can be a little.....different.

Thanks,

George
Shayd3000
Captain

Postby heruca » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Welcome, Shayd3000.

I tried looking for anything close to a female gnome bard in order to make you a color mod, but no luck. :(
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.
heruca
Developer

Postby Shayd3000 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks - yeah I had no luck either. At any rate, if I weren't getting ready to leave for a trip to visit family for Christmas very early in the morning, I'd be registering Battlegrounds for my at home Pathfinder RPG game (even though we can't find gnomes :) ) Look for a big purchase from me in late December as I need to start building the encounters for our next session in early January (we usually play every other weekend, but the holidays has interrupted the schedule somewhat).

Just so you know, I looked at a lot of your competitors, and here is why I selected you:

*No game mechanics - yup, I wanted to replace my mini's and battlemap, not take away my player's character sheets.
*You do hexes and grids - yup, I like to try GURPS and even RMFRP from time to time - they use hexes.
*Simplicity - BGRPG is not that hard to use
*Dynamic LOS - note this was the critical factor. A lot of the other guys simply could not do this. This is critical. All you need now is bullseye lanterns (okay - cone effect) to work and my players will be extremely happy. For now, I told them if they buy bullseye lanterns, they function as hooded.

I know not the best place for this post, but I thought you'd like to know why I picked you - purchase coming after Christmas!
Shayd3000
Captain

Postby heruca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:06 am

Shayd3000 wrote:All you need now is bullseye lanterns (okay - cone effect) to work and my players will be extremely happy.

Your players will be extremely happy with the next release of BRPG. Support for cone-shaped light sources is finally being added. :) 8)
heruca
Developer

Postby Shayd3000 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm very glad to hear that! We finally had our first game using BGRPG and well....I'll post the results in another thread.... ;)

George
Shayd3000
Captain

Postby david.steele » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:30 pm

I think I would like to see more flash animated objects.

Special effects like smoke, fireballs, walls of fire, rain, etc.

I really like the ones that are currently available.

Animated monsters like the mind flayer that is included would be cool too.

I am always on the lookout for more player characters and monsters. Never can find EXACTLY what I am looking for - probably never will, but the more options available, the better off I will be (until I have so many that I can't find them among all the clutter at least - need a better way to organize them).

I would also be interested - not in maps - but in prefabed buildings... unfurnished. For example, several types of inns, and other fantasy oriented buildings. And another object for the roof for those same buildings. I would like them without grids so I can use my own grids, and also unfurnished so I can add my own furniture, trees, wells, wagons, etc. Static objects in the buildings would be fine - such as fireplaces, windows, etc.

Also for the player characters, I would like to see more same character sets. I love the ones I already have. For example, marching, standing, sitting, kneeling, sitting on the ground, laying prone, fighting poses, etc. Again, just a little animation would go a long way too...
david.steele
Sergeant

Postby Omnidon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 pm

david.steele wrote:I think I would like to see more flash animated objects.

Special effects like smoke, fireballs, walls of fire, rain, etc.

I really like the ones that are currently available.

If you find GIFs or other non-flash-based animations on the internet that you'd like to use in BRPG, I can usually convert them to Flash for you.
Omnidon
Site Admin

Yes.

Postby Zearthling » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 am

I LOVE this program, but I might have a few things I would like to see at some future juncture.
1: An easy to configure Automaton GM for BRPG, like yea... (then maybe GM's can get more playtime, instead of rule watching, and solo play becomes something smoother than it already is... silk to... soy milk I guess? idk! :roll: )
2: Numbered/Lettered Grid/Hex spaces, with ability to hide them if needed.
3: More Free Stuff? LoL I seen it was said already, and free stuff is always good, so yes! More free stuff please? (I saw nothing so far in the way of anything for "Wild West" Figures, Maps, Objects, etc., just for an example?)
Hammy Homonym's... one last thing I guess... I would like to see product releases categorized by genre perhaps? It would make it heaps easier to find something new to play!
This link is where I find all product releases yes? Hard to sort them out at a mere glance for "Cannon Fodder" such as myself! :wink:
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/index.php?f=3
Zearthling
Sergeant

Re: Yes.

Postby heruca » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:26 am

1. Automated GMing? Not going to happen. Have a friend GM for a change, so you can play. :P

2. See the included Encounter called "Numbered Square Grid", and/or the included Deployment file of the same name. Feel free to create something similar on a hex grid, and to share it with the BRPG community.

3. More free stuff, huh? Have you seen all the freebies posted in the User Creations forums? It's organized by genre, too.

Zearthling wrote:I saw nothing so far in the way of anything for "Wild West" Figures, Maps, Objects, etc., just for an example?

For wild west stuff, look here and here. Arion Games sells some Cowboy and Indian top-down tokens, for $3, available here. You might also want to check out the "Pioneer in Peril" game conversion. You might be able to put the included maps to good use, at the very least.

Yes, that is the right link to find announcements about product releases. You could also look in both the Store page and the Downloads page, since everything will get listed on one of those two places, depending on whether it's a free download or a commercial product.
heruca
Developer

Postby Zearthling » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I did not mean a "complete" GM tool, I only meant something that would move 50+ zombies, orcs, robots, xenomorphs etc etc etc, in a fairly strait forward and generic manner, and notify me of if there is an attack I can make or not... for a GM I mean, no not me. I never did that in my life. I'm new here remember...

I wouldn't know about making anything really. I am not very creative. Thanks for the encouragement though! :D

And yea... more free stuff, LoLz. I always love free stuff! I looked at the thinga-mah-whut at the site link for those Wild West Figures. Fairly decent price, but is that the only set of art like that? Seemed incomplete, idk, just an opinion.
Like I said, I am not very creative... EVER. So that means art too, but I guess I could always head over to GarageGames and hire an artist I guess. I think that might be a good thought (<thinking to self)....

-- Thread split after this point by Omni --
Zearthling
Sergeant

Postby MarkSimms » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I want Star Fleet Battles boargame in a module, I also want templates you get in games like Warhammer and miniatures, I want to turn off grid and snap to grid then play miniatures from above,, templates would be great , the ones you have area of effect are great for some games, but some miniatures rulers and cannon dispersal and flame cones that are rotated 360 degrees rather than the squares.

If you did star fleet battles, Id buy whjat ever you made.
MarkSimms
General

Postby heruca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:11 am

You'll like the features I added to BRPG v1.9, then. You can attach a template/ruler to a unit, rotate it in fine increments (1 degree, 5, 15, etc.), put the overlay in the sideboard until you need it again, and it will have retained it's relative position and rotation the whole time it was hidden away.
heruca
Developer

Postby MarkSimms » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:37 pm

wow, I am off now to see if its downloadable yet, thanks so much
MarkSimms
General

Postby heruca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Only backers of my Kickstarters have access for now (while it's in beta). There's no public download link for v1.9.
heruca
Developer

Postby MarkSimms » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 am

I would suggest the templates be half transparent to show whats underneath, or even better a switch from full to half transparent, and the mouse wheel able to rotate them in 360 degrees,
MarkSimms
General

Return to Submit Feedback