Player side archiving of visual aids.

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
greytale
General

Player side archiving of visual aids.

Post by greytale » Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Is it possible to have player side archiving of visual aids?
An example of this would be a letter, map or other handout that the GM sends to them that can be pulled up later by the player if needed without the GM resending? Obviously, this should not be all handouts only ones designated for player archiving.

Grey

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 pm

That's a good suggestion, and one that I've been wanting to add for a while now. Would the visual aid be tied to a specific Encounter, or does it need to be available any time, regarless of which Encounter is currently loaded? Or should the visual aid be saved with the Player Character (e.g., a map in his backpack)?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Wed May 02, 2007 5:10 pm

I could see the possibility of both types. Both backpack items (always available) and encounter wide visual aids. An encounter might be a visual puzzle that is only good for that area. The backpack solution would probably require the ability for the GM to remove or lock an aid from the player when ever the game required it. "Sorry Joe PC you read the map to close to that windy cliff" or "to dark to read your map right now". :)

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi Heruca,

I figured I'd bump this back to the top. Do you see plans to implement this type of feature? To me it is critical for allowing quicker gameplay and more player involvement in the game.

Grey

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:07 pm

It's good that you bumped it.

This probably won't make it into v1.0.9, but I'll definitely try to get it in v1.1.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:38 pm

Great News. Anything that makes the GM's life easier is a great addition. Since I love player handouts, this was the first thing I looked for when I started testing BRPG to run games. Even if it is not as elaborate as we talked about in the post, any type of player archive is a huge step forward.

--------

1.1 makes it seem like it is a whole new start. :lol:

Thanks

Grey

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:47 pm

I'll probably handle it similarly to the way I do Portraits and unit-specific Audio clips, except that only the GM can introduce new items. Thereafter, the player can recall any given Visual Aid from a submenu in his unit's contextual menu.